Bowls (lots of pics)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A long while ago it seems, I went for an overnighter with The Big Lebowski, and started work on a carved lime bowl. I finally finished it the other day, with help from the Flexcut knife I got off Biker. It has some beetle larvae holes that add to the character, and I finished it with a coat of walnut oil. Next time I will use an adze, as this took ages with just a mora crook knife.
IMGP0619.jpgIMGP0621.jpgIMGP0620.jpg

Whilst I am here I thought I would show a turned oak bowl with bark edging (my first attempt at a bark edge) that I am rather pleased with. It looks like a flowerpot, but I like it. It warped and split slightly, but some wax took care of the split, and it has character.
IMGP0622.jpgIMGP0623.jpgIMGP0624.jpg

Finally, a work in progress. A botched attempt at turning a bowl from sweet chestnut, that I am rescuing with some sanding and the flexcut.
IMGP0625.jpgIMGP0626.jpg

Thanks for looking as always.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
really nice work, I think the more character the better - reminds us that it's come from a living tree and carved/turned by hand and not mass produced. Loving the oak 'flowerpot' :) I'm psyching myself up for the move from spoons to carving bowls!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE