Bowl woes... I want to cry! :( pic heavy

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I finally managed to find some time to play with some of my new tools today and figured I'd have a try at a bowl for the mother in law for Christmas.

I started off by splitting a round of, I think, Birch but please correct me if I'm wrong.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413039928.656242.jpg

I then debarked with a draw knife I recently traded for with Samon of this parish, I really will get round to putting some handles in soon!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413039997.978318.jpg

Marked out the bowl and attacked with the adze.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413040056.733451.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413040073.053949.jpg

I had just started to roughly smooth out the bowl with a gouge when I felt a sudden lack of resistance and ended up with this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413040296.391083.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413040309.173537.jpg

It was my own fault as I wasn't keeping enough of an eye on the depth of the bowl, was looking quite promising too!

Anyways thought I'd share, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Oh bad luck! But console yourself with the thought that you'll not make the same mistake again :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Oh! Insert your own word for excrement here.
What a shame Hamster. We all make mistakes, at times, when we make something, goes with the territory.
Put it down to experience and have another go, you will be the better craftsman for it...trust me (thirty something years as a carpenter/joiner meant some hard lessons) ;)

Rob.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aww :(

Fit in a piece of something interesting; a bit of copper sheet or a shiny piece of coloured glass, and call it a design feature :D

M

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
That's a shame:(. It looked to be coming along quite nicely too. Small consolation but it's all part of the learning process. I like Toddy's idea, might look very nice.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Shoot!

Good to see that draw knife get used, when i found it it was rusted chipped etc. Get a rolling pin and use the cut off ends as handles, bit of shaping and you'll be sorted!

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Cheers guys, already starting on the other half round, more annoyed with myself as I was hoping to have it to a point I could let it start to dry out by the end of the day but I have a couple of hours tomorrow provided I cook swmbo a nice dinner tonight.

Out of curiosity can anyone confirm if my ID of birch was correct, tree ID is not one of my strong suits and would be interested to know if I'm right.

Cheers, Hamster

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used to sweat about stuff like that.

I have a different view now.

The first three time I do any new manual task, the results will be fit only for the bin.

The second three times will look like they were done by a child with poor co-ordination

The third three times will be ruined by over confidence.

The tenth attempt should produce something "amateurish".

If think you will be perfect without mistakes the first time you try something, you are kidding yourself.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Red, I'm not sure what's more worrying the fact that your spot on with how my forays into carving usually turn out, especially the overconfident part, or that I now feel the need to check for hidden cameras in my garage as you have clearly been watching me! ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We are all like that. We buy a tool and expect to be able to use it first time we try. We can't :)

Then we master it.

Then we buy a new tool.

Rinse and repeat :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Flatten the outside bottom off with a plane, wait for it to dry then glue on a nice piece of contrasting wood, cherry, walnut etc and get carving again.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
On your next one, you could make less work by hollowing from the flat split side, the natural curved side then becomes the outside of the bowl and most of the work on the outside is done for you ?

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE