Bow Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
I made the frame for this saw years ago (might be close to 10 years), after seeing an articale in a woodwork magazine. Since then it has been in the attic of my parents house unfinished, it has been in my head recently to finish it, so I brought it back after a recent visit home. A little adjustment so it was the correct lenght for the saw blade, which is a 24" bow saw blade and it was finished.
I want to give it a good sanding and an oil finish but I had to try it out first and the pieces of wood it is on are some pieces of a pallet I tested it on. I only used a scrap piece of wood for the twisting stick, so I need to make a better one.
d88144fe.jpg

It is made out of some scrape pine that was in my fathers workshop many years ago.

d48063dd.jpg

This is the saw taken apart, it is relatively compact.

867da54b.jpg

this picture shows the mortise and tenon joint.
I am going to finish this saw by oiling it and then I am going to make a pouch for it. I would Like to make another out of a hard wood beech but as this one took me years to finally finish I'm not sure when that will happen!
I hope you like my work and thank you for looking

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
That looks the biz. Did you cut the shapes by hand or band saw. I find the bow saw blades ok for rough work but for finer work I have a section of band saw blade. A bit of a b. to drill a hole at the ends for the pins But I now have some 3mm diamond tipped drills

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Thanks for the feedback!
Colin, I cut the handles out with a jigsaw if I remember correctly and then did some shaping with a spokeshave. Originally the plan was to get a blade like the ones used on mitre saws and fix that in place but I never got around to doing that.
Used it to saw up a pallet and it worked a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE