bow making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
could someone please help i wish to have ago at bow making i understand that yew is the best item for this but i have not seen any around my erea is there a good substitute instead

thankyou all :You_Rock_

J

JimJam

Hi

Ive not had any experience on making bows but have recently ordered the traditional bowyers bible volume 1 that came highly recommended to me but i have found a fantastic website that has lots of different wood stocks metals etc here is the link http://www.traditionalmaterials.co.uk/ they also do yew

hope it helps

JimJam :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hi mate, use the search engine as there are quite a few threads on bowmaking.
Yew is a great wood but a bow quality stave will set you back a couple of hundred quid. Try ash, you should be able to find it easily. Also sycamore will make a pretty decent lightweight bow. The Traditional bowyers bibles are great books, highly recommended.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I wouldnt use yew for making your first bow because its seen as being pretty precious to a lot of people. I hear that ash is pretty good for making bows. :)

Ray says that you should proberbly make about 10 bows before you move onto making a Yew one! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE