Bow makers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
I'm already an archer, I shoot a bear cruzer g2 compound bow and I've always fancied making my own bow. I'm just looking to see what I should be considering when thinking of making a bow and how about getting the types of wood I would require. I'm reasonably wood handy but have a friend who is super wood handy (he built his own boat) who could help.

Wilderness Wonderer
Scotland

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are many much more experienced bowyers on here than me but, from my limited experience, you can make a bow of sorts out of most woods and it can be fun to experiment. Get hold of a copy of John Rhyder's book 'Woodcraft' - there's a good chapter in there about making a bow with dimensions for three different types, details on tillering and discussions on wood choice etc. (a book worth having anyway IMO).

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
You could do a lot worse than having a look at the Primitive Archer forum ( a quick google will find that). While American based there are plenty of brits on there, and like BCUK, a great deal of good info is freely shared. If you prefer books I could also recommend “The Traditional Archer’s Handbook”, by Hilary Greenland. It too is full of practical information especially on the design and making of wooden bows.

But, ‘if you ain’t breaking, you ain’t making’.

Reactions: WildernessWanderer

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Buy a laminated flat bow, second hand, and see whether you enjoy shooting it. If you find that you enjoy it, then start looking at making your bow. If you do not like it, then you will have far less invested in the process, and a bow that you can sell on. Or maybe you could borrow such a bow.

I started making bows because I thought I was too poor to buy one. Turned out I spent a good deal more on materials and tools than I would have spent on a good bow, and while my first bow worked, I wasn't satisfied. 10 or 12 bows later, only the last one was getting where I wanted, but still not quite right. (they were of several different styles) That is a danger. The other is that having spent a lot of time and energy making your first bow, you find that it doesn't shoot satisfactorily for you. The difference coming from your compound could be significant. Some of the difference will be the straight bow, some the wood bow, some your skill in making the bow.

The Greenland book is good. I like the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles (you would use Vol1 & 2) but they quite technical...maybe overly-thorough would be a better description. Tim Baker, who wrote the Design and Performance chapter built 600 bows from all kinds of wood in all kinds of shapes to separate fact from fiction about bow performance. I am an engineer, and that kind of attention to detail was a great attraction, but it isn't for everyone.

If your friend has a bandsaw, then I would recommend a flat ring hard maple or ash board around 2" thick, try to get knot free, a wood rasp (cabinet makers rasps are nice), a coarse file, chainsaw round file, card scraper and perhaps a spokeshave. Using the bandsaw to reduce the board to a bow blank shape.

Best of luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE