Bow & Hand Drill Sets - You Can Never Have Too Many, Can You?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have a couple of events coming up in the near future where I'm demonstrating a few skills, one of these skills will be fire by friction and it's a great skill to let the public have a go at, as it's very visual and it also connects deeply with something in the human soul.

So after having a look at my drill sets, i thought id better spend some time making a few new sets up, not only because i need to, but also because if someone actually produces an ember at the shows, and it does happen, I like to give them the actual set they made it on, that way, they can go home with the set knowing that it works and they can use it to practice further, plus they have a working set to use as a template or aide memoir if they decide to make their own.

DSCF3731aa.jpg

The picture shows just some of the sets I've made from a load of Sycamore i collected on Wednesday, mostly it's bow drill sets, but the four boards on the left are for the hand drill and will be used in conjunction with an Elder drill, on top of this little lot, i have another dozen bow drill sets made from Willow, should see me through for a little while;););)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good work, i like Sycamore but found White Willow works for me well too...

what other events are you doing, and have you got a bag of hey to use as tinder so people to blow to flame????

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yep, got a bag of hay here ready to go, collected it from the lane where it dropped drop off the tractor & bailer when they cut the hay in the end field a week or so ago.

I have a few local events lined up, conservation societies, schools etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE