Bow drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i first did the bow drill last october managed it first time and again the next time then i left it alone for a bit.
now i've said i'll show it to my scout group so i'm trying to do it again and i'm properly struggling. i'm trying all sorts of different woods mainly willow and hazel. earlier i got loads of smoke and a lot of powder as well but then it started making a bloody awful squeaking noise and i gave in.
does anyone know what causes the squeaking and how you can stop it?
cheers,
matt

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
yeah there is that i don't think the wood's damp either i've had it seasoning in my house for 2 weeks

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Try all of these if you have eliminated damp.

Tension adustment in the bow using fingers on the string as a grip, as you use it.

More downward pressure, but if furthur problems like flying spindles or a slow spindle speed occurs, then look at carving some of the sides of the drilled hole and checking the top of the spindle and bearing block, thinking about reducing friction and easing the whole process.

After that, practice lots, and if still stuggling use the best woods possible, try Lime as a hearth.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
dave 53 here watched a tutorial last night could be no moisture in the block try putting a leaf in the block hole this should stop the squeaking
regards dave

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the way i do it is a bit different

collect all ur bits as normal before you start ur drill pick a piece about the size of a medium broom handle.......

round one end of as per the end of a broom handle.......this end goes into the block....

now at the other end wittle away at the end for about an inch and make the stick half the original size (but not pointed).......

also score the drill along the length at 45 deg with a knife both ways this will add gripp to the rope/string.......

and.............if you think you wood may be wet just use as nomal but drill only untill you get smoke/steam then stop........... wait 10 seconds and repeat........stop and cary on the process for about 10-15 mins...... KEEP ANY DUST THAT FORMS......

after your 10-15 mins attempt as normal........this should work.....

this method works on dried seasoned wood after being soaked under water for 30 mins........he he he honist it does....

hope this will help you along the way and the other tips.........

chris.............

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
when i think my wood is a bit damp or i get a squeak i shave a bit off the drill and make the diameter a bit thinner and that usually does the trick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE