bow drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil-N

Nov 22, 2005
South Yorkshire
Has anyone tried Leylandii for the drill and hearth?
I get a coal in about one minute with little effort.
Using Leylandii drill and pine hearth works as well but the pine wears quickly.
For anyone who is struggling with the method -- give it a try.

Phil
P.S. brilliant moot!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Never tried Leylandii....I didnt think it had any uses! lol :lmao:

I'm presuming it needs to be pretty darn dry before it'll work as it's a very resinous wood? ? ?

Bam. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
bambodoggy said:
Never tried Leylandii....I didnt think it had any uses! lol :lmao:
I love our Leylandii tree its about 4m tall and we have at least two birds nests in it as the cat can't climb it. I love watching the squirrels trying to reach the eggs and failiing miserably each time, but they never give up:p

PLUS we keep it trimmed at ground level and I can sit under it in wet weather and keep perfectly dry.

Having said that isn't there a limit on the size of them now? And if so do I have to cut it only if somebody objects to it?

SBR

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol....I spend an awful lot of my working day cutting back, topping and felling Leylandii and grinding the stumps out....which are a pain as they shread rather than chip.....still if people didn't plant them I wouln't have nearly as much work so I shouldn't moan! lol :D

With regards to height they are fine at any height so long as nobody complains. If a complaint is made and the council make an order to you to have them topped then 2m is the lowest they can make you top them to.

Best bet is to keep it trimmed yourself and stay on good terms with your neighbours so they don't complain and then you won't have a problem :)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE