bow drill woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
All i am getting is a horrific screeching noise and the tip of my drill is smoking more than the base of my drill?
i've lubricated the bearing block with some waxy leaves and this has stopped the drill tip smoking but still getting a noise which is distressing the whole neighbourhood
what am i doing wrong?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You need one of these Sam, reduced friction bearing blocks, they work a treat.

DSCN4676.jpg

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Try varying the pressure you're placing on the drill, might need a little bit more to stop it screeching Sam

as above Sam, once the drill warms up it should be allot better too, try just leaning into the brill as appose to pushing with your hand, and lean back a little to ease off...

what woods are you using Sam???

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Do you have any Sycamore and Willow up around your area?, if so try a Sycamore hearth with a a Willow drill, works really well i find, as does Syc on Syc and Willow on Willow.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try grass in your bearing block too, add some every time you remove the drill, also have a look at the link, the main bit to look at is the dust particles, the light brown fuzzy stuff is what your after....

the bow drill is quite easy once you know how to read the dust and wood which will come with time, the video i just did for you showed dark black flakes, this was because i was pushing too hard, trying to speed things up for the video, and the wood was a little damp having been sat out in the rain for a few days, rushing the coal just made the ember crumbly....

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/bowdrill/pmoc/basicbowdrill.html

hope this helps mate....:)

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I had the same problem on my fundamental course, a deafening squeaking sound, chances are you've polished the end of the drill, making it harder to get enough friction. It can be solved by applying more pressure on the bearing block, as hard as this may seem but it really makes a difference.
cheers

paddy

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I use two limpet shells one inside the other. Fairly sure I got it off here a while back. A lot less friction than with a wood bearing block (I struggle to get smoke using one of them, never mind an ember!). I think the two shells were recommended to stop your hand getting burnt.

Also try this video - copying what she says got me my first ember :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE