Bow Drill with Prusik knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JayKay

Hi all,

I have been thinking for a while how to optimize the Bow Drill tension. Well I came up with a simple solution: put a Prusik knot on the end. See picture below.

Prusik.jpg

It was tested by Rob Hofman and myself and it works like a charm...

Give it a try and let me know waht you think of it. The best method is to make the Prusik first and then the knot on the other end (Rob's idea...thanks mate).

Kind regards,

Jeroen Keultjes

PS. Yes I know the drill is on the wrong side of the string :lmao:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Like the idea Jeroen.

Will try it out weekend after next with a class who will be making their own bows.

I take it to move the prusik it is best to bend the bow slightly to ease any tension on the prusik first?

Also not to put the prusik right at the end of the bow so that as the line stretches you have room to move the prusik knot down the bow to retension the line.

Cheers

George

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I like the look of that Jaykay, will give it a go, wonder if it would work with my leather thong string...thanks for sharing....

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Jon Pickett said:
I like the look of that Jaykay, will give it a go, wonder if it would work with my leather thong string...thanks for sharing....
We dont want to know about your leather thongs thanks jon :lmao:
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE