Bow drill success

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Finally! Two successful embers in a row, from bow drill. I've been trying a long time, had given up, and tried again. Glad I did. I'm learning that it has nothing to do with my technique, it's all about finding the right wood. Need to get out into the woods and try different stuff that hasn't been seasoned in the garage.

Buoyed by success I gave my hand drill another go too, reversing the spindle to try the wider end. I achieved faint warmth, which is more than I've managed in the past.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I taught a friend to do it, and her comment was, "It's like a lightbulb moment :D :D".

I think it's one of the most satisfying skills to learn; well done persevering with it :cool:

M

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Well there we are, my first ever hand drill ember. Elder on ivy. I first tried hand drill two years ago. What an effort. I came across a tip on the internet, which was to clamp the hearth to a table and do it standing up, make it as easy as possible until you get the hang of it. Now I know what to aim for.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Well there we are, my first ever hand drill ember. Elder on ivy. I first tried hand drill two years ago. What an effort. I came across a tip on the internet, which was to clamp the hearth to a table and do it standing up, make it as easy as possible until you get the hang of it. Now I know what to aim for.

Elder on ivy is the only woods I have had success with with a bow drill.

well done on the hand drill, that’s quite the step up!!

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Finally! Two successful embers in a row, from bow drill. I've been trying a long time, had given up, and tried again. Glad I did. I'm learning that it has nothing to do with my technique, it's all about finding the right wood. Need to get out into the woods and try different stuff that hasn't been seasoned in the garage.

Buoyed by success I gave my hand drill another go too, reversing the spindle to try the wider end. I achieved faint warmth, which is more than I've managed in the past.
Good on you buddy

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Elder on ivy is the only woods I have had success with with a bow drill.

well done on the hand drill, that’s quite the step up!!
my favourite combo is hazel on ivy I tend to use wood just before it's gone punky as a baseboard if I'm not familiar with the species were I am and this works well with a pinch of sand as a friction accellarent sand stops polishing to

Reactions: MrEd

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Handrills out of my league bowdrill is hard but I'm good at it know I presume u use really long spindles if standing up there really hard to find we're i live long spindles

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE