Bow-drill success at last!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my :) (grin) with everyone after achieving fire by friction for the first time at the weekend - all the practice time was worth it!

One question though, after my success I lent the set to my mate who tried, but this just resulted in the friction surfaces glazing over and producing no friction - and smoke appearing in the bearing block - anyone know why it would have glazed over (looks very pretty but not much use for fire-lighting!)?

Thanks,

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Fab John. It is a great feeling.

As for the glazing I think the general view is that resins come out of the wood and cook into a nice glaze. Therefore some woods are more likely to do it than others. It can occur particularly if you keep up a below ideal level of friction and heat for too long. You can get rid of it usually by scratching it away with a knife, or sometimes by persisting with quality drilling so that it burns away.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well done John,
Wear your grin with pride.
As Rich says, it is not uncommon for the heat generated in one attempt to draw resins fron the wood, though a good rework of the set would surely lead to further successfull embers. Its all part of the "7P Principal" - Prior Planning and Preparation Prevent P... etc etc.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Big John said:
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my :) (grin) with everyone after achieving fire by friction for the first time at the weekend - all the practice time was worth it!

One question though, after my success I lent the set to my mate who tried, but this just resulted in the friction surfaces glazing over and producing no friction - and smoke appearing in the bearing block - anyone know why it would have glazed over (looks very pretty but not much use for fire-lighting!)?

Thanks,

I think the glaze is carbon that builds up after a while due to friction, and this produces a slippy surface, so best to scrape it clear unless you want to spend a lot of time on your bow

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Well done John ! That first glowing coal that you produce with the bow-drill is worth more to you than a similar sized ruby isn't it ? I think everyone within a couple of miles knew that something was up the first time I managed it I laughed and hollered so much :)

I find that if my drill/hearth start to glaze I can either give the glazing a quick scrape with my knife or make sure that I have the cord really tight to prevent any slipping, and then give a few strokes of the bow whilst putting good heavy pressure (heavier than normal) on the drill through my bearing block. This second method rarely fails to burn off the glazing for me.

Chris-N

Nov 18, 2005
South West Australia
To stop the glazing/burnishing with the hand drill, I put a few grains of sand in the hole before I start drilling for an ember. I find it to be caused when no enough pressure is used. I think this is because wood particles are now flattened down instead of "ripped off". My understanding is that this is more of a problem with the bow drill than the hand drill because the wood is rubbed in one direction for longer. I believe that it is the changing of spinning direction that produces the most friction and char dust. Hope this helps,
Chris

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
:You_Rock_

I wonder if I'll ever forget that feeling I got from my first ember...

It's something, isn't it? A better award for achievment isn't imaginable..

Great!

Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE