Bow Drill Bearing Blocks

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Following this post that I made on my blog back in January of this year, i eventually got round to finishing off these blocks today.

DSCF5066bw.jpg

As you can see from the picture, I've made two shallow depressions in the stones, that will provide a place for the top of the bow drill spindle to sit in, to begin with i use a little Tung Oil in the depressions and then with use, the spindle top polishes the depression and as a result the block becomes almost frictionless.

A little bit more on the bearing block story can be found here http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/09/stone-bearing-block.html

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's clever mate, what kind of stone is it?

Could the other side be used for sharpening?

The lighter coloured one is a type of sandstone, not sure on the bottom one, could have come from anywhere as they were both picked up off the beach, the darker one could be used for sharpening i guess as it's fairly flat and smooth, the lighter one probably not, as it's heavily convexed on the other side

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I always look for stones when we're on the beach and I've got a good one that I use too.

The biggest leap in understanding when I was learning the bow drill was to use a very low friction bearing. I use a limpet shell set into wood for my "best" set and stones the rest of the time. I'll never use a wooden bearing again; the difference in energy needed is immense.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
really nice kepis :)

how did you drill out the depression, is there a knack or did you just do the simple thing and burn out a standard drill bit? (no points for guessing how i drill stone :eek:)

stuart

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
did you just do the simple thing and burn out a standard drill bit? (no points for guessing how i drill stone :eek:)

stuart

You were watching wernt you?:rolleyes:, i used a masonary bit and cooled it as i went, sometimes you get lucky and the depression is easy to drill out, othertimes, like yesterday, the stuff is harder than err, well rock i suppose:)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
You were watching wernt you?:rolleyes:, i used a masonary bit and cooled it as i went, sometimes you get lucky and the depression is easy to drill out, othertimes, like yesterday, the stuff is harder than err, well rock i suppose:)

thanks for that. i think i shall have to make one of these, nice little bit of kit :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE