Bothy Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Hello all. Has anyone had experience with these? I've just discovered them, and think the concept is great. I can think of two occasions where I could have used them hiking the N. shore of Lake Superior. Problem here it seems, that no outfitters here in Canada have heard of them. The closest thing here are bivy bags, and at 2-3 hundred $ each(excluding taxes) thats a bit over the top for me.
I've seen a Vango stormshelter 200(just what I need) priced at around 30 pounds on one of your UK outfitter sites. Though with shipping to Canada the cost may double...
Cheers
Alex

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
PHG - depends on what you want to use it for I think.

I used to carry an emergency bothy bag when I was mountaineering but luckily never had to use it. I`ve not had any experience of taking shelter in one for any length of time but can imagine them quite uncormfortable after a while. But then again they are designed to be used in emergencies rather than sleeping out at will.

If you want something for nights out get a UK issue Goretex bivvy off ebay for about £25-30

Rich

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have never used one for an emergancy but we often use them in training exercises. I think they are great (in fact have made 2 now) and they work a treat. It is amazing how warm they are as they cut down the wind and with a small party ast inside it can get quite steamy! I would imagine that the temp would start to fall after some time but in an emergancy for the size and weight they are just the job - beats carrying a tent as in the past!

why dont you make one! - is easy (well I found directing what I wanted to my Mum to sew up easy anyway....:eek: :rolleyes: :D ) essentially it is an waterproof nylon oblong bag with one 'long' edge open. You can go fancy and add drawcorded 'vents' in the top corners if you like but I find appart from sneeking a peek outside they arn't really used

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If anyone is interested I have one of these, its orange, which I would be happy to swap. PM me if your interested.:D

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ex military gore tex bivi bags only cost about thirty quid.

No need to buy brand spankers as long as they do the trick.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I've got a two person bothy from Terra Nova.
Fantastic piece of kit, not just in an emergency but great also as a temporary shelter for a lunch stop. If you have to spend a night in one, do not count on getting any sleep though, they are just not designed for it.
Happy trails...torc.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Hi Alex
They certainly are good pieces of emergency kit- had to use one in the Cairngorms last January. The impressions I came away with; very sauna like yet also very sheltered, increase in temperature comforting but not enough to stave off a few shivers, really raised moral considering the situation.Definitely worth the weight.

You may want to consider trying a size large enough to fit over a prone casualty ie 4 persons or over

Also of interest may be the Kisu- a bit lighter and cheaper than other brands but still as well made, they might also be more willing to post overseas.
http://www.outdoorstore.co.uk/products/survivalshelters.asp
I use the 6-8 man version and will happily carry it even for solo forays (60g more than the 1-3 man version) and any time I can get near a snowline.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE