Bootfair Haul

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Went to a bootfair today and came away with a nice little haul.

20190630-132927-resized.jpg

The adjustable bit was a couple quid and looks in great condition apart from the rust. It ought to clean up nicely after it's had a few hours in the zap bath. I need to check to see if the adjustable blade fits the one I bought a couple weeks ago. Even if it doesn't then I've got 2 drills which will let me drill any sized hole from about 5/8" up to 3" without having to lug a roll of bits around.

The clockwork bottle jackis an unklnown as the guy didn't know if it worked as he didn't have a key but I had to grab it.
20190630-132933-resized.jpg

Lidded pewter mug, ideal for keeping bugs out of your beer at night :) Again it ought to clean up nicely
20190630-132958-resized.jpg

One can never have enough slotted headed brass screws in the Steampunk world :D
20190630-132939-resized.jpg

Another Hurrican lantern for the collection... Ok it's a Chinese one but for 50p and totally unused and complete with its papers I'm not going to complain :)
20190630-133017-resized.jpg

The tabvle lamp is modern but again for 50p I'm not complaining and at 6ft who's going to tell?
20190630-133023-resized.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Can be repaired / built up using Liquid Metal. Drill and insert one, preferably two pins/ short nails into broken shaft, much stronger that way.

An excellent piece of equipment for those tasty Road kills / Bushmeat!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
As long as you can get it out, looks doable to make replacement. I'm guessing that something of that age it was planned to be able to dismantle. Would be a good little project.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As long as you can get it out, looks doable to make replacement. I'm guessing that something of that age it was planned to be able to dismantle. Would be a good little project.

I can take it out and I've got brass that's probably the right thickness as well.

The issue with it I don't have the skills or required tools to make a new one. Also the part has to be removed from the escapement pillar (or whatever it is it's mounted on is called) and the new one accurately press fitted back on. Plus, as in all things like this, it's finding the time to do it :rolleyes:

If I can't find a replacement rack from one of the other two I've got tidied away somewhere then it'll go onto fleabay

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If it is only one tooth that is missing, you just need to drill one central hole and fix a thick pin it. Same length and thickness as the other teeth at the tip.
Will not be smooth running, but functionable. No disassembly needed it looks like.
In case you want to keep it....

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
I also own one of these roasting spits. (Still fully working).
It is one of my most treasured possessions as it was my grand fathers and is complete with the hook and rotisserie part underneath.
My father told me stories of cooking a meat joint in front of the coal fire and hanging the bacon around it so the juices dripped onto it
He said there used to be a small hole in the mantle piece where they jammed a fire poker into it and hung the spit from it.
Until recently when Wayland posted a picture of his one I had only ever seen 2 others.
Chalkflint

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Good catch Steve. You've already seen mine.
If it's made by Linwood, they were produced from 1815 to 1835, so the youngest it can be is 184 years old. They were certainly built to last.

1530703897234.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE