boot ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Ive had my mammut about 18 months, a bit of stitching has come undone although they're still waterproof ive decided to get a new pair of boots. Ive seen alot of good things about lowa recently on here lasting 10years or more. I was just after some ideas. About £200is the maximum budget. And id rather not spend that tbh. Im outdoors alot, although i rarely find myself up a mountain. Plenty of big hills though. I also spend a fair bit of time around waterways,moorland and woodland. And Im looking for an all round longlasting, water proof breathable pair of boots.. What would you buy?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
No walking boot that sees regular use lasts 10 years. They do if you take them out for a walk a couple of occasions every year, but ten years? Forget it.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Working outside year round I'm lucky if boots last a year! I just get cheap Argo waterproof steel toe caps.

For hill walking etc I've got a pair of leather scarpa activ fit or if it's drier I've got a gore tex pair, whose brand escapes me at the mo. If there are boots that'll last ten years I'd be up for getting em lol

Orric

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
So basically people who have boots for that long are using them minimally? To be fair Im very happy with these mammut. They're still servicable. I just thought for an extra £50-100 and 10 times the wear was worth the investment. Perhaps id like a chunkier grip.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Cabela's the hunting boots are breathable, waterproof (aquashield), insulated and come high up the shin.
s7_813751_999_01

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So basically people who have boots for that long are using them minimally?

No idea mate. I'd be surprised if boots did last 10 years with daily use but it might be possible if they were well looked after and really good quality. Although I'd have thought the soles would need replacing a few times in that length of time :)

Orric

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
In my experience, the only true breathable waterproof is goretex. Although Im only 32 so i haven't been buying my own boots forever. All's i know is that from para boots and the like as a teen. And other *waterproof* boots have left me soaked either from the inside or the outside, all except goretex, so whatever i get will be goretex of some kind. They look sturdy though mate

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I've had a pair of lowas for 3 years on one sole, used for 8-12 hrs 5 days a week for work and the odd bimble. I do keep boots clean and polish them regularly with ledergris bit they were still in excellent condition when I sold them. I only got rid of them because my foot shape changed after a leg op and I needed a different size, I've now got the new version of the same boot and it's fantatastic.

I dont see any reason why boots can't last 10years plus, if they're looked after they can normally be resoled for about £50. I'd rather keep a pair of boots that I have broken in and resole them than replace them...

beerngrills70

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2011
Newcastle upon tyne
I have a pair of lowa gtx combat boots and i have used them on and of for over 6 years now and apart from a scratch on the toe of the left boot they still look new as the day i bought them . You can replace the vibram sole .
One gripe i have is there heavy compared to other boots out there in the price bracket but i have never had cold or wet feet yet :)

Last edited:

Pholland

Apr 26, 2012
Bognor Regis
I have a pair of meindl boots which I use for walking in and general outdoor use. Not working in though. I clean and wax them regularly. They are supportive, comfy and waterproof. Excellent

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am having good result from 5.11 Xprt boots - I wear them every day from the woods to Tesco, as slippers in the evening and all day at work. A bit warm for summer work but great for the colder 3 seasons.

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
Meindl Borneo's. Seriously comfortable, sturdy, good looking boots. Can't rate them highly enough.
I'm not a fan of 'waterproof lined' boots, would much rather keep good care of my leather, but the Borneos are the same but with the addition of a gore tex lining so fit your bill

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
Thanks for the input fellas. Im tempted by the lowa, but have some food for thought.
I do prefer a leather outer, they just last longer.

Lowa is currently winning the race for me too and I've been doing some serious research on this subject, I've seen quite a lot of people now that claim to have been wearing the same pair for 10, 12 + years and love them. Lundhags are a close second option for a similar reputation. Were you not really happy with your Mammuts then? I've just found out about the Brecon boots and was liking the sound of them being made in Switzerland and designed specifically for Britian.

I've just ordered a cheap pair of ex-MOD Lowas from eBay to see how they feel in my size. Reckon even if they suck I will have a decent pair of boots I don't mind wrecking.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowa-Dese...36?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item4cf984377c

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Ive had my lowa Tibet gtx pro about a week now. Im really happy so far. My mate brought another brand at the same time, so Im looking forward to seeing how much longer mine last...
I did like my mammuts to be fair. I just wanted something sturdier, and i didnt see anyone shouting from the rooftops about the higher end mammuts. My mammuts lasted about 18months and cost about £100. So i need 3 years out of the lowa to break even. Lol
Im confident they will after seeing and feeling the quality.

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
Thanks for that, I will forget about the Mammuts I think.. what did your mate go for then? When the time comes you'll have to update this thread, if one day you're out in the bush happy as Larry and your mate starts complaining about his boots then please do let us know :p

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Haha. That's what Im hoping. He got some mid weight berghaus. Im sure they will outdo him, but i need double the time he gets. Ill keep it updated. Hopefully Friday ill be able to do about 15 miles or so and see how y feet feel. Again Im pretty confident they will perform.

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
Berghaus eh... my friend's got a pair of 5.11s which he really likes and he just bought a pair of North Face boots, I told him that for the same price (or less even in some cases!) he could get a pair of real boots made by a company who only make footwear... but he wanted the North Face. I'm sure they're great but in my opinion, products from a company that specializes in that area will likely be superior to that of a company that likes to sell a little bit of everything.. just my opinion though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE