Books about tracking and signs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Dear all,
I was looking for some books about tracking. Some educational, if possible, in which is clear the proper method and technique. I own the Field Guide by Bang & Dahlstrom (proudly first edition). I like it very much, but I was wondering if any other is similar and quite more descriptive about the method

Thanks all

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
I recently got Animals: Tracks, Trails and Signs by Brown, Lawrence and Pope, after seeing it recommended on here. It seems really good so far, with clear descriptions and tips, but as I'm a beginner I don't know whether it would be detailed enough for you or how it would compare to your existing book. It might be worth a try though, as it seems quite cheap to pick up a copy.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
thanks a lot. I'm a beginner too so I was looking for something helps me developing a methodology. Everything is basic and clear probably will be ok

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I think you'll have to look hard to find anything better than the Field Guide by Bang & Dahlstrom that you already have, its an excellent book crammed with facts.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Hamlyn Guide "Animals Tracks, Trails and Signs" by Brown/Lawrence/Pope
Collins Field Guide "Mammals of Britain and Europe" Macdonald/Barrett

These are what I use

Snap! I use the same. I recently got the Hamlyn one for my son too. Got it from an amazon linked bookshop for £2.99. Bargain

bearbait

Not exactly Kindle but you can download a free PDF of Louis Liebenberg's book "The Art of Tracking: The Origin of Science" from the link at the bottom of this page. It should work on your Kindle.

I found it interesting on a number of levels - not just on tracking. It's more a scientific treatise than a How To, but useful background, and interesting from an anthropological perspective.

Project Gutenberg has a load of free books. If you do a search on "Hunting" or "Trapping" you may get something of interest. (No hits on Tracking.)

Amazon has a few tracking books on Kindle but you're going to have to cough up some beer tokens for those!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi 2trapper

Like yourself I also have a copy of the Bang and Dahlstorm one of the first great tracks and sign books IMHO however personally I prefer the Brown, Lawrence and Pope’s Animals Tracks, Trails and Signs by Hamlyn Guides which carries slightly more information for example skulls and dentition which I find very useful.

As for learning and methodology the best book would have to be Jack Kearney’s, Tracking a Blueprint for Learning How. From the very outset the concept of the book was a dedicated “Step by Step System “ to learning the art of tracking.

Bob Carss book The Complete Guide to Tracking is well worth a read with lots of information covering the various techniques employed in signcutting and tracking.

The Louis Liebenberg book The Art of Tracking: The Origin of Science has a vast amount of information from the fundamentals of tracking to systematic and speculative technique, a very in depth book, read it first if you want as it will give you a greater appreciation and better insight as to just how enormous the subject of tracking really is, In the post above Bearbait hit the nail on the head, Quote "more a scientific treatise" but the Liebenberg book will point you in directions you may not have even previously considered, and should be regarded as essential reading for any serious student of tracking.

There are also some very good SF tracking and counter tracking papers available free online and most well worth reading.

Happy Trails Bro.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE