Book suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perci117

Jan 21, 2021
Yorkshire
So dipping my toes in to the vast ocean of foraging.
I got the forager handbook, Which seems great.
But now I'm after a similar book on mushrooms/fungi.
Pocket sized if possible.

Any suggestions would be great

Perci

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The study of Fungi is one of those subjects where, once you get into it, you realize the more your learn the more there is to know. There are estimated to be between 2.2 to 3.8 million species of fungi in the world with only around 150,000 (6%) actually identified. My point being, the subject is huge!

I no longer try and carry a handbook for mushrooms - there are just too many of them for a small book to cover adequately. My go-to references are 'Edible Mushrooms' by Geoff Dann who sometimes contributes on this forum (over 300 species covered) and 'Mushrooms' by Roger Philips.

I have decided a long time ago I will not be able to identify every fungus I see (I attended a four-day course where the university lecturer couldn't identify some species we found) so I concentrate on searching out edible species that I am confident I can identify. I study carefully what I am looking for, go out, collect samples, return and make a 100% identification (otherwise I discard that species) and return to collect if I want to. The small handbooks just do not give enough information to be 100% positive in many circumstances.

Just my opinion, I know other people are happy using the small field guides; I've just seen too many very close look-alikes to feel confident with them.

Machiavelli

May 21, 2009
Good Ole' Lancashire
I started out using Mushrooming Without Fear by Alexander Schwab (it has a terrible cover, but don’t let that put you off) which is a really simple, helpful guide. The original book didn’t cover mushrooms with gills, but he updated the guide and published Mushrooming With Confidence which I have also used extensively.

The best updated reference I have is Geoff Dan’s book, Edible Mushrooms which is excellent.

The best advice I was ever given is make sure you compare mushrooms across multiple books / field guides.

Perci117

Jan 21, 2021
Yorkshire
Just got edible mushrooms. Ill have a flick through.

Main reason is when I go out in the woods id like to gather a few to cook on the evening

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Wild food uk foraging pocket guide is a good starting point. Pretty safe mushroom list, good colour photo's, includes some other good and easy forageables too.

The Facebook group 'mushroom spotters uk' is a good place to get another opinion on a find, and having a look through recent posts is the best way of finding what is currently around at the moment.

Roger Philips Mushrooms is a fully comprehensive list that is well worth it if you are serious about picking mushrooms.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I was recently recommended both the Roger Philips book and the Geoff Dann Edible book for carrying in the field, both being really very chunky, to give you a better chance of 100% identification. You need every aspect to match so exclusion seems to be as important an approach, ID-ing non edible is as important.
SBMs will often still be the common result :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE