Book Review: Call of the Wild - Guy Grieve

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
The true story of a guy (called Guy) who is married with two kids, stuck in a dead end job, commuting 2000 miles each month and up to his eyes in debt. He dreams of escaping to the wilderness - specifically Alaska and the Yukon river, where he dreams of building a log cabin and living there for a year...
One day his dream comes true and this is the book if his adventure.

He builds his cabin 300 miles from the nearest road and days walking from the nearest human settlement.

I loved this book. It's a great adventure story a decent writing style. Detailed enough have useful tips (and a section at the back detailing his equipment and some more tips) and he is humble throughout - this isn't some gung ho adventurer who spends the entire book making himself look grand - quite the opposite! I particularly liked his view on urban life upon his return, but I won't spoil that part for you (or breach the copywrite) by copying that passage here. Great armchair escapism - left me both impressed and jealous :D Recommended

Reactions: moko and JonnyP

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Great stuff, just ordered a copy. I love true stories about the Yukon and log cabins etc. Like honey to a bear for me, i use them as my inspiration or in this case motivation :lmao:

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Well i just this minute finished it and it was utterly fantastic!
I am not realy much of a reader because i take ages but seeing as i am on annual leave i read for 14 hours the other night after having trouble sleeping. Sure it messed up my body clock for a day or two but i simply couldn't stop. Just finished the last 20 pages or so, i was trying to savour it like the middle of a sandwhich :lmao:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Is this the same guy who had a tv show about his adventure on tv in the wee hours the other day.. it sounds like it, did anyone else see it.

Taiga

Oct 24, 2006
hertfordshire
I thought the days of books about building log cabins in the wilderness were over so it was a real joy to find Call of the Wild,now Cache Lake Country can be put to oneside for awhile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE