Bone glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Anyone know of a good adhesive for fixing items made of bone.

My friend has just broken a favourite carving and wants to fix it.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Kath.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Personally for restoration work I'm all in favor of cyanoacrylates (super glues) depending on the damage of course and how fine all the crack are i tend to use stuff from model shops the brand i like the most is vital bond it comes in four or five different thicknesses that can be used in different ways depending on the closeness of the bond / if any gaps need to be filled and cureing times.
how bigs the carving, how bads the damage and have you got all the pieces? got any pictures of the debris?

James

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't tried gluing bone, but when repairing china (hard, non-porus, demanding of proper alignment, difficult shapes that can't be clamped), the cyanoacrylate adhesives have been a lot better than epoxy. Close fitting parts which can't be clamped are well suited to the cyano glues, much easier to get thin glue lines. Even low viscosity epoxy takes quite a squeeze to get parts close.

I have used both Vital Bond, and both Zap-Ca and Zap-a-Gap both by Pacer Technologies. I haven't noticed any difference. I am certain that Loctite does a range of viscosities and properties, but are a little harder to find (engineering supplies). Zap stuff is carried by some model shops and Axminster.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE