Bone fishhooks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Has anyone here made bone fishhooks? I'm more a crafter than a bushcrafter :) I'm very interested in bushcraft but as yet am a complete newbie to it. I like making things the old way, I do a fair bit in leather and wood and have recently started on bone. So far I've made a belt buckle and strap end and bone needles but I'm unsure as to the best design for a bone needle.

If anyone has any tips, I'd gladly send my efforts to you for trials :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i've just made 2 wooden fish hooks both with nettle cordage line.

1 is a thorn growning on a twig (from a plant in the garden).

the other is a simple two point ended stck (like a short cocktail stick).

i shall try to post a pic! :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Likewise, I've carved wooden hooks from hawthorn and blackthorn (good hard woods) Not using the thorns for the points though, just using a twig with a small side shoot sharpened to a point. I'd be interested in making some bone hooks too if anyone can offer up some advice............. Good thread. Patricks thread deals with antler but animal bones (say cow) would be of interest too if anyone's tried it.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Grimnir said:
Has anyone here made bone fishhooks? I'm more a crafter than a bushcrafter :) I'm very interested in bushcraft but as yet am a complete newbie to it. I like making things the old way, I do a fair bit in leather and wood and have recently started on bone. So far I've made a belt buckle and strap end and bone needles but I'm unsure as to the best design for a bone needle.

If anyone has any tips, I'd gladly send my efforts to you for trials :D

My only tip would be to make the bottom of the curve fatter then the rest of the hook, as this seems to be the weak point. (See my poor scetch)

Hook.jpg

Would be good to see your work

Hope this helps

Pignut

(Edit: Hello by the way)

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a try :)

One thought, I have some cow bones from the butchers (now the dog has cleaned them up for me :p ) and looking at them in cross section if I cut off a section straight across the bone and shaped that would that make it weaker or stronger than making it from a flat from the side of the bone?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
my fish hooks

ee5292d3.jpg

:D

the fishing line is nettle cordage the thorn is an unknown plant from the garden, the stick is whittled birch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE