Bone bearing block.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,just thought you might like a squint of a couple of things i made.I had some bone that i,ve been meaning to use for a while now,so today i decided to make a harpoon head,and i nocked up an awl.But i was left with the knobbly end and wondered what i could use it for,then it hit me,i would turn it into a bearing block for my Bowdrill set.I also hollowed out the Marrow end so it would accomodate some Fommes,so now i have got a tinder extender incorperated into it now.

Here you can see the notch for the end of the drill spindle.
prim640x480.jpg

And here you can see the Fommes wedged into where the Marrow used to be.
prim1640x480.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good idea!
I use a limpet shell set into a hardwood block - I have worn out two limpet shells so far (but living near the coast they are easy to come by :).
I wonder how long the bone will last :)

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Very good......Tis great workin' wi' bone aye.....I'm immune t' the smell while workin' on it now..lol
Like the tinder stash idea......but give it a good buffing wi' beeswax before ye leaves it out in the rain....it will swell, hold dampness an' crack...goodjob

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
looks a bit like the head of a femur bone. That from one of bushcrafters that didnt make it back down the hill at the weekend?

I arrived on the Saturday while you were doing Egyptian PT (sleeping like a mummy).

Had you slept any longer, StuartF could have used one of yours, without any need for anaesthetic. :D

(I know you were suffering mate).

Good work Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE