Bolster for carving nordic knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Recently I've bought from Brisa a very short blade for a nordic knife and a bolster. This one, unfortunately, is too loose to fit properly. the blade is supposed to be used for carving and not for heavy work, but I must replace the bolster with some home made stuff. Any idea? Is it really necessary? I supposed some very simple design, just for my personal work, simple and functional

Thanks for the advice

Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Don't think it's necessary, just desirable. The bolster strengthens the handle. You can go without until it becomes necesary, then rehandle the knife with a bolster. That's what I'd do.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I got a polar wittler during the summer and had a similar difficulty with the bolster. in the end i just used a piece of stabilized wood for the bolster to give it a little more support, but as you metioned its for wood carving so will hopefully be enough. its seems ok so far. hope this helps.

Atb,
Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE