Boiling water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'm trying to find a scientific type table showing the actual tempertaures at which all the nasties such as viral and bacterial pathogens and protozoa are killed at?
Of course we all know that just about all these nasties die by the time the water has reached 100oC but I want to know the actual temperature each dies at and hope there is a table showing this. As far as I know many die well before 100oC such as Giardia and I beleive Cryptosporidium at around 60oC
Can anyone help?

Reactions: Toddy

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hi there

as someone who has been a chef for a bit, if you heat food up to 72 C then its deemed to be safe. food can then be stored at 64 C for about four hours without you worring about bacterial growth.

hope that helps

rob

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Excellent work chaps, just what I was looking for.
That's right what you said innocent bystander. The fact that it's boiling and is bubbling tells you it's gone way past the point that the gremlins will have been killed at, and with no thermometer it's really the only way to be sure. The table and paragraphs titled HEAT on page 3 are interesting.
It's interesting to know too that a lot of things arn't affected by chemical treatments due to hard shells on the bugs etc. It's filter (millbank bag) and boil everytime for me.
Thanks again

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Stickie said:
For some reason my PC won't let me open this - what does it say?

theres a lot of information about drinking safe water when you're out and about. to read the document you'll need adobe acrobat reader (free download).

as for drinking water, its a quick boil for me every time now too.

rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE