Boiling water in a bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 19, 2009
Isle of Wight
Hi all, This is my first post on this awesome site so go gentle with me. I'm at scout camp this weekend and would really like to demonstrate boiling water in a paper bag. I would really appreciate any tips or experiences you guys/gals have. I'm planning on using some plain brown square paper bags.

Look forward to your input

CHeers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome - cant help you with the boil in the bag - never tried it.
I have boiled water in folded A4 and the trick there seems to be don't let the flames above the water level...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never tried it nut I heard you have to keep the outside of the bag wet at all times and like John says don't let the flames lap up above the water level.

Try and get some piccies to show us how you get on.

So that'll be three pairs of hands you need then ;)

May 19, 2009
Isle of Wight
THanks Shewie - I'll deffo get some pictures up. Can't beleive how great this site is and how much info there is on here. Now I just need more time during the day to try it all out.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've saw this done on the tele, one of the Brainiac ones I think, guy took a 20 quid note folded it so it was like a little tray and filled it with water, held a lighter under it and fairly soon it was boiling. The idea is that the paper can only get as hot as the water due to heat transferring to it, it may get a little scotched though, you don't need the outside wet for it to work. I don't think you could do it with a bag of water, I think the weight of the water may rip the paper bag? Never tried it so really have no idea.

You could always so off by cooking in a paper bag, uses the same idea, coat the inside of the bag with a good bit of oil, and add bacon, sausage or eggs.. :)

May 19, 2009
Isle of Wight
I'm thinking of sitting the flat bottomed bag of water on a flat stone in the centre of a pile of embers so that it gets full heat around the bottom but does not actually come into contact with any embers ? Any thoughts ?

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Ensure that you turn the paper or plastic bag inside out so there is no excess material exposed to the flame, only material with water on the other side to the flame.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I did it in a plastic bag a few years back, went a horible brown colour but it definately boiled, paper bag should be easy, just make sure the bag is completely wetted before adding flame

2cnavdj.jpg

May 19, 2009
Isle of Wight
Wingstoo - Man thats real impressive. I would have thought that the bag would just melt. I've got some decent brown bags so should be no problem after seeing that .

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Hello and welcome - cant help you with the boil in the bag - never tried it.
I have boiled water in folded A4 and the trick there seems to be don't let the flames above the water level...

Ditto.

Did it many years ago at school. The chemistry teacher showed us during a boring lesson. Folded a sheet of paper to make a tray/dish, paperclipped the corners and stood it on a tripod over a bunsen burner.

Subsequently, in the Army a few times, during those long boring buts, I bet people I could make a brew in a sheet of paper. Same folded paper trick, edges folded back on themselves if no paperclips available, using a hexie burner with a few tent pegs placed across to provide support for the paper tray/dish, fill dish once over the burner............got them everytime.

Digressing slightly, I also remember a fire related incident where a helicopter bubble polisher was 'expertly' explaining about the high flashpoint of fuels and the lower burning temperature of matches. He demonstrated stood next to a gazelle, you could have painted the remains of the heli silver and sold it as modern art. My point is,careful when playing with fire but give it a go.

May 19, 2009
Isle of Wight
Well, I tried to boil the water in brown paer bags but failed miserably. This was not due to the paper burning through though !, but to the glue that held the paper bags together softening and letting the bag leak !! I will now endevor to get hold of some of the old sweetshop paper bags that were sealed on the bottom and have another go. On a different note, I did manage to build a friction bridge out of pioneering poles (No ropes or lashings) and it held the weight of 2 grown men.

PS - Can anyone tell me how to upload photos to a post and then I can show the friction bridge

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Digressing slightly, I also remember a fire related incident where a helicopter bubble polisher was 'expertly' explaining about the high flashpoint of fuels and the lower burning temperature of matches. He demonstrated stood next to a gazelle, you could have painted the remains of the heli silver and sold it as modern art. My point is,careful when playing with fire but give it a go.

Spent many hours in Gazelles but I have no idea what you’re talking about!

Fascinated but baffled, please explain :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE