boiling water /cooking meals while you´re driving

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
a huge amount of the cars energy is lost as heat through the exhaust, i forget the exact % but its a shave under 50%, so im sure its possible, maybe wrap some small bore copper pipe around the exhaust with a header tank and small pump, if you were to re-route the exhaust you would need to be carefull of back pressures. Another way is to simply wrap some food (not sure if i canteen of water would work) in tin foil and secure it in the engine bay before you start driving, i used to drive around in an old beatle and when going to a show i would always wrap up a few spuds before setting off, spuds cheese and beans while everyones still setting tents and running around :p

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
I used to have a book written in South Africa, about exhaust manifold cooking...chicken and veggies etc wrapped in tin foil...Might be worth a look on the 'Net...many recipes for meals, I tried about 10 to 12, I think...fish, steak, chicken, pork...all based on speed and driving time...
They tasted great, and not a hint of petrol or oil in the flavour, although some might want the manlyness to show through? :D

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I remember a couple of American guys wrote a book of recipes to be cooked on a car engine. I would have bought it but couldn't find a copy at the time - this was before you could buy everything on the Net.

They explained how to wrap things up, the best position to place the food and how long it should take, etc, etc.

I used to have an in-car kettle (it was VERY slow) but it burned out the wiring to the cigarette lighter in my car and blew the fuses in the van. I upgraded the fuse to a larger fuse but I wasn't very happy with how hot the wires would get and decided to just use a Thermos flask. Downside of the the Thermos is that you need to have had access to some place to heat the water in the first place.

Another device you can get to heat water, and I did have one but lost it, is a heating element that you stick in to a cup of water and it will bring it to a boil.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I heard a story the other day of a man who set the cruise control on his motor home and then got up to make a brew :eek:

I don't think they have quite perfected autopilot yet :D

Slightly different to what your meaning though :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like the idea of copper piping wrapped around the exhaust. That would work really well in landrovers which are so easily modified for all sorts of things. If you had a small pump to keep the water circulating, you could have a tank of water that would basically get heated. I'm not sure if it would work without the pump or not, I know engine coolant systems can run on a thermo syphon action though, so long as the water head isn't too great it may work, otherwise you will need the pump to get the water up to the tank.

A good way of getting something for free as it were, so long as you only want to use it when the vehicle is driving around, otherwise you would have to run the engine for ages just for a brew!!!

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
;)

93_1_b.JPG

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE