Bog Oak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Bog Oak has an incredibly high oil content, its this that makes it so dense, heavy, hard to work (try drilling it without filling the workshop with the smell of burning oil!) and not really suitable for stabilising..to be honest it really doesn't need it if its been allowed to dry naturally.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Cheers Gaz
Got them from Q lawns in Norfolk Cut some up yesterday to see what it was like
Now got a few bit in the cupbord where my Boiler is to see what that dose

Bad idea, if you dry it out too quickly, the wood will crack. What i have been told is to keep in the shed for a month or two depending on the size, and then bring inside - but keep it away from heaters, ideal place is attic - and then leave there to dry out fully. Remember that smaller pieces dry out faster, so you will probably want to saw up into the size you want (but add a cm or so onto each measurement to allow for the length lost whilst drying). I have heard that if you cover the ends up with candlewax it prevents the wood from splitting down the grain - which has worked so far.

Hope this helps

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
Bog oak is often used as a general term for tree stumps that have been unearthed from a bog and vary greatly some are rock hard and are all mostly carbon some can be like green timber full of sap or resin trying to dry them can be very difficult it takes a lot of skill to dry normal timber and bog oak if it is oak can not be dried quickly air drying takes a year per inch, using a dehumidifier can take a month with a lot scrap, kiln drying is quicker but you will have even more scrap, if you get some of the outside timber stabilized this would be the best option, or if you are using it for knifes and you cut the wood up roughly to size it will dry quicker and seal it before you bring it into a warmer environment this may work ok.
Alan.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE