Bog Oak Awl

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I was looking at my needle case today and I started thinking I need a new awl to go with that.

So I did a bit of research and had a poke around in my workshop and this is what I came up with.

Bog_Oak_Awl.jpg
Antler_Needlecase.jpg

The Awl is spring steel and it's collared with part of an antler tine. The handle is made from a piece of bog oak that an archaeologist from Flag Fen gave me.

He said it was from the causeway but came from an area that had been disturbed about a hundred years ago. As such the bit he gave me had no archaeological value, but it is about 3000 years old or so.

I made a knife handle from one part and had this bit left over waiting for the right project.

You might recognise the inspiration for the retaining loop. ;)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
THat looks very good, I do like the idea of the age of the oak somehow.. carrying and using something of that age..

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's really nice mate, and pretty cool that you're carrying a piece of history around with you and putting it to good use!!

Dave

THat looks very good, I do like the idea of the age of the oak somehow.. carrying and using something of that age..

Most of the stuff that I make comes from materials that have some story or history to them. I rarely buy materials unless I really cannot source the things I need.

To me it is important that some of things I carry have a bit of soul or character. That is something that cannot be bought or paid for, it is earned.

It may be the antlers of a fallen stag that I found in one of my favourite places or a blade that was forged and gifted me by a friend that has now departed.

To me, the fact that even a simple awl hanging from my belt, is made of oak deliberately deposited in a sacred site, older than most religions, is something that has earned that character honestly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE