Bog Iron

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Fascinating stuff, Mary!

I had heard of "bog iron", but had no idea of its source - well, that sounds daft, but ye ken what I mean.

I have for quite some time, been interested in the industrial history of the surrounding area of my home, and that interest has moved back in time as I discover tantalising evidence that the rolling green fields and Braes o' Fife conceal an industrial heritage older than the written document by far. The area I'm from in Fife is rich in iron, most of the early coal companies -spit- called themselves Coal and Iron Companies in one form or another, although metals and minerals dropped from their interest with accessibility to richer deposits, and eventually mass imports, towards the end of the C19th. There are deposits of exposed ochre in a local den, the working of which has never been thoroughly researched, but the entire bank of the burn running through it has been quarried extensively. There was an ochre mill there in the early C19th, but there have been no records kept with even a modicum of accuracy, and it is known there was iron smelting done there at the time. (I'm presuming that iron can be extracted from ochre with a high iron content, although that is beyond my knowledge base and I haven't bothered researching.) The fisher-folk's cottages are reported as being painted yellow or orange.

Old Fife, which historically included Kinross and Clackmannanshire, is the first region where coal is recorded as being deep mined. This was carried out around 1200 by the Cistercian monks of Culross, who proceeded to run a racketeering venture by Royal Charter, basically holding the entire Firth of Forth to ransom as they extorted tonnage tariffs for the use of their lighthouses, fuelled by Culross coal burned in open iron baskets. But they also seem to have produced iron, although there appear to be no record of where the iron came from. They got too rich too quickly and the venture was "re-possessed" by the crown and put firmly in the grasp of... you guessed it... The Bruces! Coal and Salt go hand in hand, as the salt-pans were fuelled by coal, but iron seems to have been a lucrative side-line for the local aristocracy, with the Crown turning a blind eye as they kept it quietly in the Bruce-Maitland-Crawford-Wemyss, etc, extended family circle.

The immediate area of my childhood home was once bog, according to General Roy's Military Survey of 1747-55, and remnants of that still exists in small areas of marshland. On reading this thread, it intrigues me to remember that the soil of my parents garden was a deep, rich dark loam on alluvium and red clay, which contained a buried tree-stump smack in the centre. It also contained what I recall to be lumps of rust-like material which crumbled as soon as you tried to remove them. Ancient occupation was quite apparent around the housing estate I was brought up on, as numerous gardens not too far away revealed ancient burials -I can remember a crowd of bairns standing gawping into one after "Mrs McKechnie Roond the Corner's Laddie" lifted a stone slab in their garden; a few pots, the remains of a beautiful bronze dagger and a skull are kept in the National Museum- but any archaeological evidence of how they lived has long gone. My assumption is that our ancestors chose to live there for the specific reason of availability of natural resources, and a source of iron would have been exploited the minute the technology arrived.

Unfortunately, any evidence of Iron Age, Bronze Age or Neolithic mining in the area has probably been obliterated by centuries of industrialisation, as with any evidence for the prehistoric use of coal, but I find it inconceivable that those whose very existence depended on investigating and utilising the resources around them didn't find a use for resources that quite literally surfaced all around them, and the answer to the question "How did they figure that out?" becomes far less puzzling.

I'm more than familiar with the kind of oily black peat bog you describe, as I too have stepped in the wrong place. I'd assume that these iron nodes would be found in the burns that run off from the likes of Rannoch as they erode from the peat. I'll take a look next time I'm around such country, although I won't go as far as saying that I'll try smelting the stuff, as the described process sounds similar to that of the folding and welding of steel for weaponry that was used throughout the old world and far too skilled for my cac-handedness!

Thanks for the food for thought,

Pango.

Last edited:

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
The teachers website is working again, http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hammarede.com/ about the courses he run and one about bog iron and the use of it http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hammarede.com/.

In the link i posted before the most interesting report is from 1998 and i must also make a note about the price of a kg bog iron,after some research it's not 500-600 Euro per kg it's 300-400erou per kg.

Since ochre is ironoxide and it's ironoxide that's used when you make Bog iron but I do think they would use a large furnace where you smelt the iron, instead of of using carbon oxide desire to be carbon dioxide as when make bog iron

I'm probably making more question instead of answering any but all of you that have question please ask I will try my best to answer them. :)

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
The earliest traces of the use bog iron has been archeologically documented well before 400 BC. Somewhat surprisingly, the iron age people hasn´t been depending on bog iron. In large parts of Scandinavia the more common "red soil", has been utililised as a source of iron.

In fact, later research indicates that the earliest iron production, which also is the foundation of our nations relative wealth, comes from medieval times when iron was extracted from red soil.

I´m attending a course next week on the subject matter and I intend to publish some pictures from the course. This is really bushcraft at its essence!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
The earliest traces of the use bog iron has been archeologically documented well before 400 BC. Somewhat surprisingly, the iron age people hasn´t been depending on bog iron. In large parts of Scandinavia the more common "red soil", has been utililised as a source of iron.

In fact, later research indicates that the earliest iron production, which also is the foundation of our nations relative wealth, comes from medieval times when iron was extracted from red soil.

I´m attending a course next week on the subject matter and I intend to publish some pictures from the course. This is really bushcraft at its essence!

looking forward to the results and pic's of your course, best of luck with it...

chris.

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden

Where's the course your are going to? Is it the one in Rättan/Hammarede with KG linblad?

I'm looking forward to see your see your result and i'm hoping on some good pictures :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been planning to run a smelt for a long time, not considered bog iron though (figured it to hearder to get than normal ores). It's always a case of finding the time and the money to have a play :rolleyes:

oneday I will ;)

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
As promised a bunch of photos from the course on bog iron.

But first some snaps from a brief stop at Mora of Swedens factory outlet in Mora...

The kiln at Fågelsjö in Orsa Finnmark

The principle set-up of the kiln

Chopping wood - lot´s of it...

The rake used to pick up bog iron

Swedish summer...

The bog iron

The easier accessible "red soil". It contains 50-60 % iron and can be found virtually anywhere and has been the main source for iron manufacturing since at least 400 BC.

"Roasting" the red soil and the bog iron. Through this first step the water and organic compound is burnt away and the red soil turns from iron hydratic oxide into pure iron oxide. I also becomes magnetic.

The bog iron on top

Lighting the kiln

The smelt

The red soil beeing scooped up over the charcoal

Preparing to pick up the iron lump at the end of the smelting process

Beating slag and other impurities out of the iron

A piece of the iron lump that I got with me to a black smith class that I attended the following week.

The result - the iron actually showed up to be steel of such a quality that it could be used for a tempered carbon steel knife blade.

Som old tradition knifes, made at Fågelsjö, presumably from bog iron.

All in all, a great week where I now have a knife blade that I actually has made myself from absolute scratch, starting with gravel from the woods. I will try to put a handle on it during the winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE