Bodgers shelters, and a bush bow

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Not been posting a deal lately as I've been doing up the house, on hols and baby duties. (sorry about that) Managed to carry on with a few projects here and there though, and I'm looking forward to things calming down again so I can get out camping.

Just finished making these with some friends, and a bow after a trip to the woods.

100_3319.jpg

More here
http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/

Addo :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
very nice mate, SWMBO has just looked at them and said "we could do with one of those over the pole lathe at college", i think you might have just inspired next term's green woodworking project

stuart

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Get one done mate, there dead easy, just need a couple of bolts for ease.

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
great work paul, nothing to do with demo areas at elvaston by any chance? :D������������������������������

Last edited:
Hi Addo

We run a mental health project in a local wood nearby and built one of the bodger's shelters as you have. What a great space and good all year round.

Please can I ask what the round wood in that you used and where you sourced it? We made ours using timber from the wood, the straightest stuff we could find was a bit of beech and some birch; both pretty weighty and not to resistant to decay. Last week the top beam snapped so it's time for a re-think. Your thoughts would be very useful.

Kind regards

Leo

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
great work paul, nothing to do with demo areas at elvaston by any chance? :D������������������������������

Cheers, certainly is mate. Giving them a trail run at the Chatsworth show for the next three days, just set them up today.

Leo, We did a similar thing to yourself. Just found the straightest poles with an even(ish) thickness. Used Birch and Ash mainly, but they will be stored outside under cover when not in use to try and make them last. I think if you could get some ash, peel it and add some linseed oil, use might get some longer life out of yours when left set up for longer?

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
standley,

use ash,larch or young douglas fir. where in the world are you ? i ask as i sell poles to peeps for shelter,yurts and tipis.
make sure you peel the bark off and i just put candle wax on the ends and then use a bees wax on the rest.

if you want any give me a shout and i`ll sort you out, will start cutting in a month or so

treelore

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE