Bluebell bulbs as glue?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rrch88

Mar 15, 2008
Northumberland
I've read you can use the bulbs of bluebells as glue, apparently they used them for bookbinding in the past. I tried this and it gummed quite well but it didnt dry to strong. All i did was pinch the top of the bulb and smear the sap/pulp on. Am I missing out a vital part of the process or something?

Thanks
Rich

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have to break out the sap. RM once showed this by chewing it :rolleyes: Not to be recommended, the bulbs are poisonous. Clean off a bit of the bulb, put it on something you can use to crush it and spit on it. Our saliva is wonderful stuff, it is intended to begin breaking down food and turn it into sugars that our bodies can absorb. The saliva starts to break down the bluebell sap and makes it into a better glue in the process.

cheers,
Toddy

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
You have to break out the sap. RM once showed this by chewing it :rolleyes: Not to be recommended, the bulbs are poisonous.

He did that whilst fletching an arrow but he also used some cordage to bind the feather to the shaft as well as the bluebell glue which indicates that the glue by itself isn't very strong..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, now so he did, hmmm.
I've not tried it for fletching without binding, but the flights are usually bound on regardless of what glue is used.
I have used it for paperglue, for stiffening linen and for laminating birch bark. I don't think it's the best of glues, but it is accessible, easily found and it doesn't seem to cause decay of materials.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Are you allowed to pick them up from where the bulldozers have ripped them out of the ground on land that was once greenbelt but is now development sites?
Or from where badgers have unearthed them for you?

rrch88

Mar 15, 2008
Northumberland
No-one owns land neither here nor there, how can using natures gifts be an offence to anyone other than those who dillude themselves into thinking they are separate from it (being nature).

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Are you allowed to pick them up from where the bulldozers have ripped them out of the ground on land that was once greenbelt but is now development sites?
Or from where badgers have unearthed them for you?

Only if you are wearing a large stove pipe hat, sport a large black handlebar moustache and cover yourself with a black cape, moving in stop frame animation.

:D

Nag.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Only if you are wearing a large stove pipe hat, sport a large black handlebar moustache and cover yourself with a black cape, moving in stop frame animation.

:D

Nag.

Or your name is Liz and you have a fine collection of jewels and ermine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bonny things, but a pita when they insist in growing up between the slabs in my paths....it's like playing beds (hopscotch) around my garden when getting to the bins and the compost heaps come Spring.
I was working away from home a lot last year and HWMBLT didn't dead head them, so they seeded, didn't they :rolleyes: so I've got millllllions of the bloomingthings, haven't we ? :eek:
Give it a couple of months and I'll happily post good fat black seeds to anyone who asks.
They grow easily, and that way no one can say a word about taking from the wild.

Mike's correct in quietly warning folks against taking them unless with permission, but I have to admit that some of mine originally came twenty years ago from a path bulldozed along the river bank below the castle.

I'm beginning to wonder about pestering Tony to set up a forum for Legalities since these sort of issues come up pretty frequently.

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Just for peoples info:

From Scottish National Heritage :
It is a crime to:

* uproot any wild plant, unless this is accidental or permission has been given by the owner or occupier of the land;
* pick or destroy a specially protected plant;
* possess one of these specially protected plants or any part of them or to advertise them for sale.

It is crime to uproot any wild plant, unless permission has been given by the owner or occupier of the land, or the uprooting occurred accidentally. There is a list of over 150 specially protected plants , which includes mosses, algae and lichens as well as flowering plants. It is a crime to pick or damage these listed plants in any way, unless this happens as the incidental and unavoidable result of an otherwise lawful activity and you have not been reckless in carrying this out. It is also a crime to possess one of these specially protected plants or any part of them or to advertise them for sale and so, as with protected animals, you should ensure that you have evidence of how you came by them if you chose to own them. There are four species protected as European Protected Species . A further list of species are protected against excessive exploitation.

The bluebell, or wild hyacinth, is currently protected only against sale to prevent the unsustainable harvesting of bulbs from woodland. It is expected that sale will be permitted under a scheme to license reputable growers and so enable gardeners to legally obtain this attractive native species.

From the PNLD :
Question

Q641
Can I pick wild flowers growing at the side of the road?
Answer

Yes as long as you are keeping them for your own personal use and are not selling them. You cannot, however, pick the whole plant, that would be classed as theft. The flowers must be genuinely wild (not planted for a commemorative purpose etc) you must exercise caution if you are going to pick wild flowers as you do not want to inadvertently commit an offence.

The same applies for picking wild mushrooms.

No doubt other more knowledgeable will be able to supply relevant quotes from English sources. I hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Nag.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
They've quite a length before you get to the bulb iirc (from childhood btw).
You can grow your own,get seeds from a licenced seller.

Badgers eat them I believe (the bulbs).In fact that was on one of Rays progs' I heard that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done :approve: Thanks for posting that :D

Anyone up for sorting out the English, Welsh, & N.Irish regulations?

There's a fair number of folks on the forum from Eire and Holland too so their guidelines might be very relevant as well.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE