Blu rays

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
It should have Blu-ray or BD written on the drive if it has a tray, if not, assuming you are using a version of windows, open the device manager and look for optical drives, find the model number and then google it, you should find the specification for the drive online.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
TSSTcorpCDVDW SU-208FB

Get computer jargon online...still no idea.

Perhaps I should find one and try it?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Sounds like a Toshiba DVD Writer

Don't think it will read Blu Rays.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Blue Rays ?

379cea60f81f43421c1054d967e67cca.jpg

5265c0eaa1b2ecbbedadaea7c086d1c6.jpg

91aa8aa1f0d20c56411e29e92864f8b8.jpg

Sorry could not resist....

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Even with a Blu-Ray drive, it is probable that your PC/laptop will not play BD movies as Microsoft do not bundle BR playback software with Windows/Media Player. Something like CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra will be necessary

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Ill stick to DVDs then.
Tengu, the VLC app thing is worth having in your "arsenal" anyway,
It will play the Blu-ray dvds.

it plays virtually any obscure type of movie or music formats as well as all the modern stuff .
some music formats I found to be quite obscure such as ogg etc. and this will play it.
Additionally, any codec errors and error messages relating to audio visual will be corrected by this app.

Just thought I'd let you know....
:)

No affiliation, it's free and open source
👍

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
VLC is excellent, and as Leshy says, will play pretty much any format you can throw at it, and has no worries about playing DVD's from other regions (something the actual windows laptop gets stroppy at). I'm a huge fan of Irfanview, which is a picture viewer (with video bolt-ons) whicha gain, handles a huge amount of formats and costs nothing.

However, since you can buy a perfectly decent Blu ray player from one of the big four brands for just under £50 if you shop around (I spotted a J4500 Samung in Sainsbury's the other day for less than £50), you could go that way, or get an external blu ray reader for less than £40.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have VLC, its handy, never had much joy with other region DVDS, -have to change the setting for those

and you only get so many changes

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I only really bought a PlayStation 3 for its BluRay capability, and a stunning game "The Last Of Us". On a bigger screen it's noticeably better, Nowt to get mega excited at though. The PS3 has a good player in it, better than most.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I only really bought a PlayStation 3 for its BluRay capability,

Which wasn't an accident by Sony. There were a lot of good reasons for Sony to include a Blu Ray, rather than the Xbox's DVD, but having lots of people buy a games machine (which they wanted anyway) with a blu ray inside enabled the technology to get in a lot more homes much quicker than having to buy another player.

On a bigger screen it's noticeably better, Nowt to get mega excited at though
Your TV/Blu Ray is already doing some upscaling anyway (they all do, and an HD source is noticeably better at any size), so its less of a shock when you see a true HD source. Try putting a DVD and a Blu Ray of the same film on a TV, one through a scart, and other via HDMI, and the difference is very clear. We were talking at work the other day, and we suddenly realised that the bulk of films/boxsets are still bought on DVD - so people are still paying good money to watch SD on their TV's - a screen resolution which hasn't been sold for a decade!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE