Blow guns? legal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I watched a video on blow pipes/guns and looked into getting one for a bit of fun. Not only can I not find one in the UK but I cant find anything in law to suggest why i cant find find one. Any ideas gang?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
They are prohibited weapons, indeed the way the law is written even a pea shooter qualifies as an illegal blowgun. Section 141 of the Criminal Justice act 1988 specifically forbids "the weapon sometimes known as a “blowpipe” or “blow gun”, being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;"

Reactions: Toddy

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Clause K

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Illegal in the UK.

"In the United Kingdom under the Criminal Justice Act 1988, and in Australia, the blowgun is categorized as an offensive weapon, and as such it is illegal to manufacture, sell or hire or offer for sale or hire, expose or have in one's possession for the purpose of sale or hire, or lend or give to any other person."

The only exception I know of is licenced (firearms, I mean) vets who can use them to tranquillise large animals....like lions, etc., in zoos.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I have researched also. It looks like you could have one up to 2019. The 1988 act was amended then and lots of mad weapons and implements of doom were tagged on. Basically they banned anything you could hurt someone with, except cricket bats and irons. I think frisbies are still legal (if razor blades are not attached)

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I suppose however if you had a tube loaded with darts and a rubber bulb on the end instead of your lips it would still be legal, such is the lack of logic in our laws.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd agree the Law makes no sense in this regard.

Recently I've - very legally - purchased items that make the above ban farcical.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My bother once shot a bead with a needle in it through a length of tubing. It hit a window pane and stuck in it. The needle had gone right through the pane of glass without breaking it.
Pity the poor blighter in those barracks sent to clean the windows and the windolene dribbled through to the other side :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE