Blood pressure monitors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm undergoing a change in my meds at the moment and as a result I've got to monitor my blood pressure daily

When asked how the hospitals response was I can do it at my GP's, which is true but means a daily trek up there and hope their one in the waiting room is working otherwise I've got to see the nurse.

So to save me time and trouble I was thinking of getting myself my own BP monitor. Looking on Amazon they start around £13 for wrist versions but I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone have any experience with them and if they could point me in the direction of a reasonable one.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Be aware of that most ‘civilian’ versions are not accurate. Whe wrist mounted ones are the worst. Even expensive ones can vary a large % up anddown, or be simply off by a %.

Get a stethoscope and spygmomanometer. You know, the cuff thingy you plow up with a rubber ball. That is the most exact way to measure your BP.

Wife has a high BP, monitors herself. We wasted cash on those electronic monitors, but our doc told us to back to old tech.

Not many docs or nurses use electronics. Not accurate, readings vary hugely.

Reactions: MrEd

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I bought one from Lloyds Pharmacy a few years back, I used it a few times as I had a high pressure reading so thought i would keep an eye on it for a while.

Not sure what the price is these days.

Just make sure you do it at a quiet time of the day and when you have a few minutes spare to sit and totally relax.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Just make sure you do it at a quiet time of the day and when you have a few minutes spare to sit and totally relax.

Then your readings will be lower than normal. Best is to randomly sit and take the reading. You want to know your ‘normal’ pressure, not when you have been sitting and relaxing a while.
It will be lower that when you are normally active.

If you get to have an investigation done, you will carry a machine that will take readings all through the time. Important for correct diagnosis and prescription.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not many docs or nurses use electronics. Not accurate, readings vary hugely.

That's your opinion and is totally different to my experience...

I've been having my BP measured for a number of years especially so in the past 4 months and it's always been taken by a digital monitor. The few times it wasn't was due to the medic not having their digital monitor to hand.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Then your readings will be lower than normal. Best is to randomly sit and take the reading. You want to know your ‘normal’ pressure, not when you have been sitting and relaxing a while.
It will be lower that when you are normally active.....

Yep. That's exactly why you do it the same time every day and sit quietly for a few minutes before taking it; just at the doctors office. "Resting" blood pressure is the reference they're looking for.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Get a stethoscope and spygmomanometer. You know, the cuff thingy you plow up with a rubber ball. That is the most exact way to measure your BP......

.....Not many docs or nurses use electronics. Not accurate, readings vary hugely.

That's your opinion and is totally different to my experience...

I've been having my BP measured for a number of years especially so in the past 4 months and it's always been taken by a digital monitor. The few times it wasn't was due to the medic not having their digital monitor to hand.

Most doctors I've seen in the last 20 years or so have been using the digital ones. That said, when they take a reading they question, they do indeed confirm or refute it with the old fashioned ones. BUT! And it's a very big BUT; trying to take your own is difficult with anything other than a digital one. (yeah, I've been getting mine checked regularly since I was first diagnosed hypertensive in 1983.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nurse at local GP uses a Omron upper arm one. Looks like one of the M2/M3s not sure which exactly.

Concur with the resting blood pressure, if you've been active and it's raised your blood pressure outside the norm range, they'll take another measurement after you sat and relaxed awhile.
Also seen a doctor attempt to take my blood pressure with stethoscope and sphygmomanometer twice (once on each arm), and fail. And had to resort to an electronic one.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is easier to use an electronic for sure. For laymen and pros.
But the manual are more accurate.

If you want to know the resting BP, then you need to rest. If your heart guy needs to know your BP fluctuations - you get an elrctronic attached to you.

I have a family history of heart ‘trouble’ and I have been tested over two days, several times by know. Hell to sleep with it.

Touch wood, nothing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I get hooked up to a digital(?) one that just about pinches my arm off!
It takes 6 measurements then displays the average.
You just sit and think your own thoughts until it beeps.

Looks expensive.
I believe that the same machine, whatever it is, should be used all the time.
That way, if there's any change, you can see it.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I'm undergoing a change in my meds at the moment and as a result I've got to monitor my blood pressure daily

When asked how the hospitals response was I can do it at my GP's, which is true but means a daily trek up there and hope their one in the waiting room is working otherwise I've got to see the nurse.

So to save me time and trouble I was thinking of getting myself my own BP monitor. Looking on Amazon they start around £13 for wrist versions but I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone have any experience with them and if they could point me in the direction of a reasonable one.

My better half works at our local pharmacy, and one of her jobs is to take blood pressure.

Anyone can walk in without an appointment and have their BP taken, free of charge.

Most pharmacies provide this service these days, so if you happen to live near one it would be worth asking if they do.

It’s easier than having to get an appointment with the nurse, and you are in and out in a couple of minutes.

Can’t vouch for those personal monitors though.

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Steve,

I use the one that Lidl stock.

My Doctor uses these readings, despite the difference with their ones.

Cheers Martin, my nearest Lidl is best part of 20 miles away so Amazon is the better option. Nice to know you use one though and what the doctors think about the readings.

My better half works at our local pharmacy, and one of her jobs is to take blood pressure.

Anyone can walk in without an appointment and have their BP taken, free of charge.

Most pharmacies provide this service these days, so if you happen to live near one it would be worth asking if they do.

It’s easier than having to get an appointment with the nurse, and you are in and out in a couple of minutes.

Can’t vouch for those personal monitors though.

Thanks for that Allan, it might be something I do though it again would involve me having to go down to my local pharmacy which is 1 minute from my doctors :rolleyes: so I'm still interested if anyone uses them and what ones they might recommend :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My better half has her blood pressure monitored regularly. The surgery is happy to accept her own readings but we did take our home unit in to have it checked against theirs. Your doctor/nurse should be happy to do that for you.

I read an article recently that suggested a very large number of people on blood pressure medication are on it unnecessarily due to 'white coat' syndrome!

Cheers,

Broch

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Been using the Lloyds Pharmacy one for a few years - works well, seems reasonably accurate. Batteries last for ages. Think Boots might do one too.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I use an Omron to monitor my BP. The doctors do not really trust home readings, but it should give you a ball park figure. I suffer with high BP and was unfortunate to to have a brain haemorrhage 5 years ago so the doctors like to keep an eye on me.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My better half has her blood pressure monitored regularly. The surgery is happy to accept her own readings but we did take our home unit in to have it checked against theirs. Your doctor/nurse should be happy to do that for you.......

I use an Omron to monitor my BP. The doctors do not really trust home readings.....

A lot depends on the individual doctor. Home monitoring your blood pressure is no different than monitoring your blood glucose levels.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE