Bleeding Ink

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Hopefully this won't seem too random.

I've just made a bull-roarer out of some old pine.

I'd like to decorate it, and considered using enamel paint, and then burning/etching with a soldering iron. But what I think I'd like to use is Indian Ink. I know they use it on split cane fishing rods, but does anyone know if it's likely to bleed into the wood?

(I know I should try it on a scrap bit of timber, but I'm an impatient sod. Plus the Ink is not where it was, and may take me a while to find - and I won't bother looking if it ain't going to work)

Also, I want to oil the wood with linseed - even if the Ink works, will that then make it bleed?

Sorry if this is a bit random, but I figured someone on here was bound to know.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Bleeding tends to happen because of a porous or uneven surface. Sealing first will help no end.
Just make sure the sealant and ink dont react at a chemical level.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I would strongly advise doing it on a test piece mate, i've had stuff that should have worked fine go horribly wrong and ruin the item, I always test new finishes on a test piece and leave em a while to allow any faults to arise!

Dave

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks everyone I appreciate all your advice.

Sealing and test-pieces is the way to go, I reckon (in my heart I think I always knew that - cutting corners never pays) - better check the bull-roarer roars first tho' - no point embellishing a t**d.

Kolrosing is new to me tho' and really interesting - I'm definitely going to try that on something.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Thanks mate, there were supposed to be a few of us that did em, we took a series of pictures at the latest meet but so far at least everyone else has proved too timid lol

Dave

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Well the bull-roarer works - not that much sound tho' - reckon it needs to be thinner - anyone any experience making them?

Gave me a blimmin' blister spinning it tho'

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Well it's done, oiled and inked.

I need to a) - give it a good field trail - whizzing it near the neighbours' cars is a bit iffy and b) work out how to upload pics on the forum, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

And I've learned several things - not least of all that you can write/draw with Indian ink on wood trated with Linseed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE