Blanket jackets, I just don't get it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
I'm having a bit of difficulty keeping up with your recommendations MG! A couple of weeks ago on this thread (#6)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146500&p=1827042#post1827042

you seemed to be suggesting that civilians with OD or camo kit were "walts" and should wear/carry hi viz orange but if they do, they look ridiculous. :confused:

This is a civilian forum (I'm sure there are plenty of forums where old soldiers can share tales of derring do) and although many members here have served or continue to serve in HM armed forces they generally seem to be comfortable enough in their own skins to be able to share relevant knowledge and experience where helpful without the need to continually sneer at the idea of mere civilians enjoying themselves outdoors or heaven forbid owning a FAK, a compass or something that may have come from an army surplus shop.

I'm sure you've got some really useful stuff to contribute but perhaps change the tone a bit, a lot of your posts so far do seem to be borderline trolling - albeit from a troll with a carefully practiced 1000 yard stare! :)

Nothing wrong with challenging a viewpoint!

Simply providing the opposing voice. I think this develops understanding i.e. if you say you wear camo, I'll say why as you don't need to hide from scary types with ammo. If you say you wear standard hillwalking gear, I'll ask why you like to look like a stabilo boss pen!

Of course bright gear is useful - especially for being found on the hills.

I assumed that was obvious without needing said!! I was smiling when I wrote RE fluorescent pens.

Don't take everything I say too seriously. Aside from medical/navigation/survival etc, I'm clueless. I'll never comment on a thread on how to make a spoon etc as, well, I don't have a clue. But on other threads where I can contribute, I'll contribute. But normally initially by questioning the accepted party line - especially if there's flaws in it (or alternatives).

RE the FAK etc - I think it is worth questioning someone's reasoning behind something - this is likely more important than any item itself. No point carrying something without knowledge (which leads to the question of does something need carried if one has the knowledge anyway).

Nowt wrong with a bit of camo gear - but I do know of many who will steer clear of any civvy in camos - hence mentioning that as a viewpoint.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Nothing wrong with challenging a viewpoint!

Simply providing the opposing voice. I think this develops understanding i.e. if you say you wear camo, I'll say why as you don't need to hide from scary types with ammo. If you say you wear standard hillwalking gear, I'll ask why you like to look like a stabilo boss pen!

Fair comment and fairly well qualified MG - though I think that Nomad64's point is that there are less direct ways of challenging an opinion or making a statement of opinion that some may take to heart more so than someone as (thick! lol) skinned as me.

Having read your profile it is clear that you have offered to pass on your knowledge and experience (many of us do) so I get where you are coming from (I was military and SMLTB qualified/experienced too).

If you described me as looking like a stabilo boss pen I would laugh and re appraise my appearance - but think about a youngster on here who might have been gifted an item (dayglo, OD or dpm) and it is all that he's got for the time being.

I use both olive drab (synthetics and natural fibres throughout my clothing layers) and occasionally full cam and whilst there are occasions when I might be hiding from someone scary with a gun, most often it is for other reasons (any ideas MG?). And I am (now) a 'civvy' and I don't think that it makes me a 'walt' - or does it? I don't care :)

I'd posted earlier that I noticed that the OP was a relatively recent joiner hence the woolen clothing query in the first place, woolen clothing on here is certainly not a recent trend. Perhaps the same 'feel' for bcuk exchanges also applies - in retrospect it probably took me a while after my joining to moderate some of my responses (with great difficulty when you look where I'm from) especially where southerners are concerned!
(That's a joke John! :joke: See what I did there? :lmao:)

Re nomad64s comment that you were 'sneering' - a bit harshly put perhaps? Yet again we experience the disconnect of an online conversation which, face to face 'on the hill' or in a bar would most likely have left no one offended.

On that subject of bright colours out in the sticks however, I do actually question the use of dayglo, bright reds and oranges - colours which I think should only be reserved for emergencies. On more than one occasion I have been led off my course to check out someone in such colours who appeared to be in a precarious situation but who was just temporarily (and happily) laid up!

I hope that richardhb has found both the responses to his question and the subsequent 'conversation' equally informative. :)

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I've got a Swedish Naval officers overcoat which is great for winter, but I've stopped wearing it if I'm doing quite a bit of walking as it just makes me too hot. The only time I truly appreciated it was a couple of years back I was in the city centre watching a band and a snowstorm hit stopping all buses and taxis. Me and a couple of mates ended up walking 10 miles home in that snow storm and that coat was perfect!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
We have been persuaded by marketing companies and wholeheartedly had confidence in technology providing better products. Often it's just more layers of self inflated sales talk, combined with bench tests against a inferior material. We know technology can help us create many light weight fabrics that can and do deliver on promises. Very often the purchase price reflects the business side and not the manufacturers input.
Wool is equally as diverse and technology is still trying to mimic that what spiders have in abundance.

If the top garment manufacturers included wool in their range, the cost for each garment would probably increase, due to the cost of the wool needed and also by chance found in good quality used/old or secondhand blankets.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hi all..

Can anyone explain what the idea of making a coat from an old blanket is all about. There is so much decent waterproof warm clothing about, modern gear fits well, doesn't weigh a ton when wet, looks stylish, and doesn't cost a fortune. I just don't understand the trend?

Is it all about just making something from waste? Don't get me wrong, if I was really hard up, lived rough I may be pleased of one. But I'm not. I don't even think they look good compared to something you can buy. Clearly I'm missing the point, so what is it?

Thanks.

Mother use to knit sweaters and winter socks for us. I can not say my parents had a need to stand in a line in the local soup kitchen.
And you could by factory made stuff in the shops.

Some people like to use their skills, even if the result is not as fashionable as one made in a factory in the Far East.

The Germanic outerwear called Loden is basically made from a thin blanket. And, boy, can you wear anything more stylish?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
British woolens, both clothing and blankets, have been the class of the market for centuries.
By 1779, your Hudson's Bay Company (est 1671 London) was selling their iconic point blankets all across Canada.
They are still loomed in England (Yorkshire) and not at all cheap. You get what you pay for.
I buy 6pt HBC blankets as wedding gifts. Unmistakable around the world for what they are and the quality.

BTW, The HBC point system for sizing was eventually picked up and used by the looming mills.
I would not be at all surprised to learn that the same system came to standardize mattress sizes as well.

didicoy is right: so much these days is a blend of this and that.
If you like "plain" wool, start with a big old piece of cloth, aka blanket, as fabric.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I can only really attest to TwoDogs garments, in particular his bush shirt.
To me it's not 'recycled' so much as 'bespoke'. I'm a big bloke and it fits me so well and I feel incredibly comfortable in it.
I love it, it's incredibly well made and thought out. It's warm but breathes really, really well. I practically lived in it last winter in the evenings when it got cold and I haven't washed it yet. I have aired it a few times and it's as good as new. I wouldn't wear it in a downpour (I have his equally good raindogs for that) but I've been caught in showers and it just shrugs off the water.
Easily the best bit of kit I've bought.
I would also like to add that I personally find wool blankets incredibly comforting, I'm not sure why exactly, maybe because they take me back to being a child staying with grandparents, but I love the feel of being wrapped up in wool.

Reactions: richy3333

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
There is nothing at all wrong with looking like a plonker:
1918-AceHighcolor.jpg

K
:)
OMG. Love that paddle:)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great picture. The RCMP in what is now just the formal dress red serge uniform.
That's a real paddle, quite a Quebecois design for the traditional canoe.
The outer coat is HBC, no doubt about it.

The only thing missing is a modern, canvas-wrapped HBC canoe. Yours for the bargain price of $7,500.00.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I love repurposing. At our local Red Cross place, I bought cotton clothes in different colours, various leather boots and leather belts. All for females. Not sure what the volunteer thought.
I use it in my knife making efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For $7,500.00 each , the Hudson's Bay Company canoes are serious business, unlike fiberglas wannabes.

One is a clear cedar strip about as pretty as it gets. I have actually seen 2 of these. More money than brains?

The other is a canvas wrap (over wood strip, probably birch or ash).
It's painted gloss white with the indigo/yellow/red/green stripes.
You should be able to see this one coming for miles.

I buy worn down Hall crooked hoof knives from the local farrier for $5.00 each.
Better steel than most wood carving tools and a scorp tip in the bargain.
The new Hall (Canada) knives are $50.00 each here.
Changing the bevel from 25 to 12 degrees for carving is hard hand work but worth it.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The Twodogs smock is a classic BCUK garment! It's great for sitting by the fire and to wear in my pit when it turns chilly. It also makes a great impromptu kip mat.
It's comfortable, it breathes, it has a huge hood to block out that pesky draft.
I had mine cut long so it covers my back and butt when bending and sitting.
Ultimately practical in defiance of modern styling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'm having a bit of difficulty keeping up with your recommendations MG! A couple of weeks ago on this thread (#6)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146500&p=1827042#post1827042

you seemed to be suggesting that civilians with OD or camo kit were "walts" and should wear/carry hi viz orange but if they do, they look ridiculous. :confused:

This is a civilian forum (I'm sure there are plenty of forums where old soldiers can share tales of derring do) and although many members here have served or continue to serve in HM armed forces they generally seem to be comfortable enough in their own skins to be able to share relevant knowledge and experience where helpful without the need to continually sneer at the idea of mere civilians enjoying themselves outdoors or heaven forbid owning a FAK, a compass or something that may have come from an army surplus shop.

I'm sure you've got some really useful stuff to contribute but perhaps change the tone a bit, a lot of your posts so far do seem to be borderline trolling - albeit from a troll with a carefully practiced 1000 yard stare! :)

Got to say "Here we go again!"

Mountaingoat you can be controversial without being offensive.

We in the "whittling community" are being really patient with you but you seriously need to learn some social skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
- but think about a youngster on here who might have been gifted an item (dayglo, OD or dpm) and it is all that he's got for the time being.

That's really why I took issue with MG's comments - on the one hand he very sensibly suggests that people should use what you have, improvise, adapt etc. but on the other says that you will look ridiculous if your kit doesn't look right. It would be a real shame if posts (albeit made in the spirit of banter and promoting a discussion), on BCUK discouraged anyone from enjoying the outdoors or feeling welcome round a campfire. :camping:

Anyway I'm off to point out to my neighbour who has been a hill farmer for 60 plus years (often in winter conditions that would make a Geordie think about wearing a second t-shirt), that his sartorial standards are unacceptable - everyone knows that tying your jacket up with bright yellow bailer twine was sooo last year - we're all wearing muted natural colours this season!

If you don't hear from me for a while, the discussion may not have gone well - he's such a diva! :rolleyes:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We are all driven and influenced by fashion on clothing and footwear.
Which is a bit stupid, as we miss out on some very practical stuff.

I am old enough not to care what people think to a certain degree.
I do have to obey my wife though.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I often find that when I spend long periods outdoors I begin to care less and less about how I look and worry more and more about how comfortable I am. It gets to the point where I give myself a quick look over in a window or something reflective before going into a pub or café for a meal stop to make sure I look at least half-way presentable...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have :), and three kids :) and, yes, I have found I don't get outside for very long periods as much, but I've learnt to worry a hell of a lot more about being dry and warm over what I look like :) [I'll even take wet and warm, wet and cold I'd rather not do any more...]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE