Blade size through customs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joe Hall

Mar 25, 2013
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi,
I'm trekking through the Alps for a month, and obviously need a knife.
I was wondering whether anyone knew the blade limit I can legalls het through customs ?
I will probably just take my Victorinox Forester if poss, as I'll need a couple of the tools as well as the knife.
The rules and regs for blades is a bit of a minefield and trying to find customs laws on the subject is quite difficult.

Any info would be very greatful!

Cheers,
Joe

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I don't know if you are planning to fly or to take the Eurostar. If the later, they limit you to the same as you get with an EDC in the UK - 3" folding non locking...

This said, I have taken a full tool kit including a leatherman wave through in the past.

J

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've known people take fixed blades through without any problem. If it's packed in your luggage then a SAK will be fine.

Only problem you probably would have is if you had it in your carry on bag.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There are a couple of different limits involved:

1) What's the legal size in the country (Switzerland) where you're going? A quick call ahead will determine this. This is the only concern that actually involves customs (this and UK customs on your return)

2)What are the limits imposed by your transportation choice? Airlines usually insist that you pack them away in your checked baggage where they are inaccessible during flight but have no other limits on size, shape, etc. If you're driving, you obviously impose your own limits but I'd still follow the airline polcy and pack them securely in the boot so as not to alarm any authorities you might encounter. Train tavel is the most problematic usually.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Eurostar confiscated my Victorinox Hunter (very similar to the Forester) despite it being in a locked Samsonite suitcase, so beware.

Dave

Joe Hall

Mar 25, 2013
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies!
I will be travelling by Eurostar, and the countries I will be visiting are France and Switzerland.

That's my biggest worry, going down with a decent knife and have it taken off me.
Might just buy a cheaper one with a smaller blade, like the Camper model or something, and just hope for the best.

I guess they'd have to be a bit more strict with it on the Eurostar opposed to flying as it'll be accessable..

I've emailed the Customs dept to see if they can advise me as well.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We took machetes, fixed blades and axes to Borneo and Namibia without any issues
Obviously in the hold luggage, not carry on.
Some of the guys that come over here for the moot from over seas fly in. They carry all sorts. I know one of them has been asked.
'Excuse me sir our X-ray shows that it appears you have an axe, a knife and a saw in your pack'
'Yes that's right'
'Why?'
'I been camping'
'Oh OK then thanks'

no problem.
many airlines allow firearms to be carried in the hold (although some are now stopping that) so sharps shouldn't be an issue

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
If you're going to Swizterland, the home of Victorinox, I imagine a decent SAK would be easy to come by at the other end. If it's the French or Italian Alps you're going to perhaps not so much.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I had concerns on the Eurostar because all your luggage is accessible at all times. I'd consider sending things by mail and picking them up, or buying there and mailing back.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have doubts about carrying stuff on the train do what a friend did. Post the item to yourself in a Poste Restante or your first hotel/hostel/campsite. At the end of the trip post it home :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you have doubts about carrying stuff on the train do what a friend did. Post the item to yourself in a Poste Restante or your first hotel/hostel/campsite. At the end of the trip post it home :)

Yours or John's suggestion to be honest is the best way forward especially if you're travelling by Eurostar.

If you do as you suggested and bought out there then posted back you're going to end up with a new shiny... Bonus :)

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I never had any hassle for carrying a fixed knife in my pack in Western Europe. Eurostar will probably be your biggest potential issue.
The Serbian border police tried to take my knife :D I knew it was going to go straight in their pocket so I objected and said I'd post it home.
They just let me go in the end, which kind of proved my point that they just wanted to keep it for themselves!

Good luck on your trip!

Years ago I hiked the Haute Route - beautiful!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had concerns on the Eurostar because all your luggage is accessible at all times. I'd consider sending things by mail and picking them up, or buying there and mailing back.

Just get to France and buy an Opinel, they are cheap enough to throw away on your return trip home.

Joe Hall

Mar 25, 2013
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Cheers for the input guys.

I reckon I'll buy one out there and just try my luck with bringing it home.
If I get one with a blade of 3" or slightly under I reckon I't be OK.

Cheers Will! Can't wait for the trip!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE