Blade length.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Silverback

The pic chops the tip off, but yeah nice fine pointy little bugger... just what you want

I had an orange handled non locking knife years ago with a very similar blade shape.
that was about the best alround skinning gutting knife I ever had
Funny thing is I can't remember either where it came from or what happened to it

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My latest knife is a blade blank from dorset woodland blades. the small version of duncan's sharp and pointy (DSP)

Dunc was kind enough to give me one of those - makes an excellent bird and trout knife.

Here is another interesting design variant made by a member here called (IIRC) a Hornet

Knife Side by British Red, on Flickr

Knife top by British Red, on Flickr

Too many small bladed knives do not have enough "meat" on the handle to get a proper hold of. This is like an awl - small cutting surface, big round handle to get pressure on with. Brilliant tool.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That's the deal clincher for a good all round hunting knife :)

I was gonna run off and find a pic, but johnnyboy has done it already.
which size is that one john?

*edit
That looks a little belter red, i'd find a place for that in my collection no problem at all
Still waiting for my DSP blade. I'm looking forward to it

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
About the only animals I can think I might try to skin are Rabbits

I have some really pricey custom knives, but this is my favourite go to knife for coney, the superb Mora 510 (carbon blade)
Not easy to get hold of now, particularly this RM version that has the slightly thicker blade stock of 2.5mm
The custom pancake necker cost twice as much as the knife and the whole rig weighs in at way under 4 ounces

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Aye, first time round I just tapped out a quick reply before I rushed off for an overdue pee and never noticed the tape measure. :lmao:

Oh so easily done. I love them, easy to use and damn strong. Top 2 are 6mm and bottom is 5mm but all with a Flandi grind so slice really well.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well, just when I thought I had decided on the design of my knife you lot come along and open my mind up further... Perhaps it'll be a set of 5 knives, a saw and a bill hook...

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Or maybe you can narrow it down to 1 or 2 maximum when you know what you will be using them for.

That list is based on:

• General knife - Battoning wood, feather sticks, general camp use, whittling
  • Edc knife - folder, eating, general camp use.
  • Small skinning knife - for small game
  • not quite so small skinning knife - for deer and the like
  • Crook knife - for carving bowl section of spoons/bowls.

Then the bill hook as a chopping tool, Would it be criminal of me to also use such a tool as a cleaver in butchery?

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE