Blade Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
A combination of bad luck,poor preparation and wild conditions plus inexperience has led me to damaging my Ben Orton blade whilst preparing some fire sticks. The blade met a metal edge of my firebox and came out worst. The blade has suffered some "re-shaping" along its edge and I was hoping someone could advise on the best way of repairing the damage. Specifically it has taken the edge off by about a mm deep along a small section (you can imagine the effect of hitting it against an edge of metal:11doh: .)

Any advice on the best way to retrieve the situation would be most appreciated.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
First off, don't get to worried, itis a working knife after all, and can probably be sorted out. Before you try anything yourself, have you contacted Ben Orton to ask if he can reprofile the blade? If not, you could ask a number of members here or on British Blades toreprofile it. If you want to try and do the job yourself, it can be done but will take a bit of work and patience.

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
Very hard to offer advice with out seeing the blade ( pics please) but if I really need to get a nick out or reshape a point. I regind the edge flat but "sawing' into a stone till the nick is gone or the point reprofiled. then start from scratch putting a new bevel on. However most the time I won't take a small chip out it serves as a reminder of not to be so silly. Agian hard to say without pics.
Carl

Isshogai

Nov 7, 2004
Wakefield West Yorkshire
I'll just second what Spamel (and Warrigal)has said - all good advice:) . Most of all don't get upset about it. Knives are tools and do sometimes suffer a bit of wear and tear:eek:

Depending on how bad it is give the maker a shout and see if he'll sort it - if not try one of the makers from here or British Blades...

And learn from your mistake and don't do it again!:1244:

Andy

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
DON'T PANIC!

Agree with the advice so far. I would tend to do as warrigal said and grind the edge flat and reprofile the edge. Its a lot of work on the wet stones but if your not confident in your honing skills it is a good opportunity to learn/practice.

Clouds and silver linings I think.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
If you don't want to do it your self I will do it for you just Pm me all you need is the cost of P&P

Mick,
Thanks for the offer, I'm going to take some time and try and repair it myself, a good lesson on knife care for me.
Hopefully I'll not make it any worse!!
ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE