Blade care question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have just been stripping the bark off a piece of willow I cut recently and it has left a nasty sticky residue on my mirror finish carbon steel blade. Eventually I managed to clean it off with hand sanitiser gel. The question is whether the willow residue is corrosive? A bit of patina is ok of course and there are a few blemishes on my blade through use, but I really would not want to risk leaving anything on that is going gradually etch it's way into the blade.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
back home i wash my blades with soap and old teethbrush, and wipe with piece of cloth . for storage i use duck fat, wich is an edible (and tasty)grease... blade out of sheath, in a cardboard one home made.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
you can use nail polish remover (acetone) followed with lighter fluid to clean the blade then just wipe down with an acid neutralizing, food safe oil like ballistol universal oil

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You could leave in vinegar over night and you could still clean off the tarnishing with fine wet n dry sand paper and soap..

No need to fret. Just clean it off with soap and put it away.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Willow (Salix sp) bark contains a considerable amount of salicylic acid, hence the name. Analgesic but upsetting. Modified as acetylsalicylic acid, we call it ASA or aspirin.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If it does seem to be tarnishing the blade a quick going over with chrome car polish will sort it right out. Makes a good stropping compound too.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE