Blacksmith made netting needle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I have a netting needle (top) that I have been using for years for fine mesh net making. I bought it many years ago at a New England maritime museum. It is useful but it always looked too machine made to me.
At the Goschenhoppen Folk Festival (where I display my Pa Dutch fishing nets) this past weekend I found a blacksmith who said he could copy the needle. He rummaged in his junk box and found a coil of wire that he straightened on his anvil and cut it to length with a chisel.
I wish I could have watched him do his work but I had to get back to my "fish nets" display.
Less than an hour later He showed up at my stand with his creation (bottom). It was better looking than I had hoped. It has none of the stamped out looks of the original. I gave him a large onion/potato storage bag i had made. We were both pleased with the exchange.

8CjqxnH.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm buying my annual supply of garlic this afternoon, some 5 lbs is all I need.
The mesh bag for storage is the next thing on my list.

Is it difficult for a beginner to fumble about and make such a mesh bag?
It will hang in my cold room so the skills won't be too embarassing.

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I'm buying my annual supply of garlic this afternoon, some 5 lbs is all I need.
The mesh bag for storage is the next thing on my list.

Is it difficult for a beginner to fumble about and make such a mesh bag?
It will hang in my cold room so the skills won't be too embarassing.

I have written instructions that can be found at the "nets and net making" section of the Pineapple Knot Forum
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/
Scroll down to find instructions. Only one knot to learn
Try the easy net bag tutorial for your garlic

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE