blackening knife handle

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've previously done a flame-blackened handle on an axe and it worked well.

Want to put a shiny black finish on a hardwood handle for a knife. Would boot polish work?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
it'll be mucky!

my advice is flame blacken, then seal the wood with super glue or lacquer then polish.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
boot polish won't work :lmao:

Your best bet is to use a very hot flame such as an oxy-gas torch, that way you won't risk drying the wood too much and cracking it, or having issues with other metal handle parts. Any organic bits might cause issues though. Alternatively, dye it black with leather/wood dye and then oil.

If it's got a lot of tannin in it (such as oak) then a soak in vinegroon works well :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The heat won't do the glue bond any favours if epoxy has been used. Anything over 60/70ºc will soften it!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
For those unsure what vinegroon is, it's a solution made from vinegar and metal shavings. You can make it in a jam jar in a week, fill half full with white vinegar and either file off iron, steel shavings into the jar, or just droip in some fine wire wool and leave to slowly fizz away. I found after two weeks with a straining I had a good amount of useable vinegroon dye. It turns raw leather black/dark grey in seconds and similar with untreated wood.

Good for us on the cheap and a fun project.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The vinegar and iron stain preparation is a very old one, sometimes referred to as "ebonizing."
I use about 2C vinegar and a "bun" shaped pad of fine steel wool. Takes about 3 weeks to dissolve.
The iron acetate formed in the process reacts with tannins in woods (and leather, thanks for that).
If you work with a very pale wood with a low tannin content such as Lime/Linden, you can assist that with a first stain
of very strong tea to supply the tannin. Then the iron acetate binds up quite well, scrap tests, first, of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE