Blackberries

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
A small walk down the woods today produced 2.75 kilos of those delicious berries.
Not before their branches 'bit' back and as I was in short sleeves....
Note to self: long sleeves are best for this harvesting job!

Anyone know how much pectin I need put in to make my jams??

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Bert, I have a file full of blackberry recipes if you're looking for other things to do with them now the season's getting underway.

Let me know!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You could just use jam sugar, but I'd prefer to just add the juice of a couple of lemons. Bramble and apple jelly is always nice.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
My experience of blackberry whisky is to only leave the berries in for a week or two, longer gets a really woody taste.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ooooh brambles :D
Ours aren't ripe yet and with all this rain they'll go foosty quickly :(

I don't usually use pectin with them, they seem to go fine themselves.

I agree with Scanker about the whisky, lovely stuff, just don't leave the fruits in too long.

Bramble jelly is a really excellent base for linctus mixes as well as tasty made into a hot drink in Winter. Tastes lovely on ice cream with toffee crispy strands.
It's good spiced too with a little whisky for a Hot Toddy.........no pun intended :D

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, blackberries have one of the highest pectin contents of any soft fruit - which is why you need pectolase if you're going to make wine from them.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
yep Toddy
Just go them in before the deluge struck!
This really isn't 'August'- feels more like a monsoon!
Hot wine + cinnamon + a few berries + a little cointreau
Purrrrrfect!!

and I'll make jam with the rest :)

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I introduced my neice & nephew to blackberries last week, whilst we were strolling round Bewl Water in Kent. Their Dad looked horrified as they ate them, and asked if I was sure they were not poisonous! :eek:

I did explain to the kids that thay should only pick ripe fruit from above waist height tho! :rolleyes:

Simon

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The blackberry and apple recipe is usually a reliable one. The apple supplies plenty of pectin.

I remember an old chap telling me that he made blackberry jam every year without apple. However, he reported deliberately picking slightly under ripe fruit as this set better.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
has anyone ever tried using the rest of the plant ,the leaves dried crushed into a powder and mixed with the same amount of allum add a touch of water mix into a paste and use for an emergency filling for teeth + the young branches were once used in the fields as baller twine, take off the leaf stalks but leave on the spikes, they would have a handfull of straw wrap around the straw a couple of times a quick twist and tuck in

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I just made some blackberry jam. Its got crab apples and cinnamon in it to, but only a small amount. Its actually a little over set, its quite stiff and gooey, too much sugar? too little water? I havent made jam before but it certainly tastes nice on scones even if the consistency isnt perfect!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The fruit is rich enough in pectin by itself, when you added crab apples it really got a extra load of pectic added too.
The jam probably could be cut into cubes.........covered in camembert or mozzarella, dipped in a crispy cornmeal batter and quickly deep fried..........lovely with a green salad :D
On the other hand, it's not going to run off a hot scone either :D

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The fruit is rich enough in pectin by itself, when you added crab apples it really got a extra load of pectic added too.
The jam probably could be cut into cubes.........covered in camembert or mozzarella, dipped in a crispy cornmeal batter and quickly deep fried..........lovely with a green salad :D
On the other hand, it's not going to run off a hot scone either :D

cheers,
Toddy

Genius!! Oh I love camembert and jam. its gone like tar now, I could waterproof a boat with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE