Black Powder Weaponry Legislation

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The Firearms act.

Black powder shooters or "old farts" as we call their ilk are a breed apart.

Black Powder guns are a category of their own. This is how black powder pistols were not captured in the post Dunblane knee jerk that saw other "handguns" banned, confiscated and destroyed. However live black powder firearms go on a Firearms Certificate or if smooth bored muskets on a Shotgun Certificate.

If shot with black powder as opposed to more modern nitro powders you need a Black Powder licence. Then you need a licence to transport it from the Health & Safety Executive (Recipient Competent Authority) Recently some sensible soul amalgamated these two bits of paper.

Antique Black Powder guns do not require a licence but intent to shoot one means it must go on a firearms certificate or Shotgun Certificate.

It's long and complex. Tell me specifically what you are after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Unfortunately. Select members of one range only are allowed to reload. I have a 30-30 lever that i'm not getting the full use out of since I'm limited to factory loads. If i could reload I could do most of my shooting with it and the shotty. The whole firearms issue over here is nonsense.

Anything over 30 cal is restricted, so special license is needed even for a 357 lever. 22 pistols only, and they're on the way out too. I sold mine before it gets taken from me. No slugs and no shotguns under 24 inches. If it keeps going this way we'll be left with single shot 410s and nothing else.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The shooting lobby is tiny here, so we are a soft target. The average voter seems not to care about the difference between a sporting firearm and a criminal weapon.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im working with some reenactors

(Who also collect and restore such things)

Im writing up my placement and I need to talk a bit about legislation.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Tengu, to start you off gathering information before you delve into various sections of the Firearms Act, it might pay you to contact the Firearms Department at your nearest Police Station. They will almost certainly have leaflets/brochures or website links for you to read in simple terms relating to current law. They will possibly provide you with a contact at the nearest Black Powder shooters club/organisation that you will get help from. Be warned..once you get them started on their subject from Matchlocks to Percussion caps your head will be spinning. :)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Tengu, to start you off gathering information before you delve into various sections of the Firearms Act, it might pay you to contact the Firearms Department at your nearest Police Station. They will almost certainly have leaflets/brochures or website links for you to read in simple terms relating to current law. They will possibly provide you with a contact at the nearest Black Powder shooters club/organisation that you will get help from. Be warned..once you get them started on their subject from Matchlocks to Percussion caps your head will be spinning. :)

Reality of this is that your local police station will know nothing of guns. That's what armed response units do. Licencing is handled at a county level, staffed by civilians who know nothing about guns (by & large) or subbed out to G4S.

I think that if you have a look at The Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain MLAGB.com or even drop them a call you will do better.

Otherwise start with a canter through The Firearms Act.

The getting started document from MLAGB Surrey might help and has useful links. http://www.mlagb-surrey.org.uk/downloads.html

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Ah! My apologies, I thought Tengu was asking about the legislation relating to black powder.....

Black powder legislation is swept up into Firearms Licencing. You get the Black Powder Licence through your counties Firearms Licencing Department.

These are all basics. Want a real mind bender then consider the legality of shooting a ball from a smooth bore musket held on a Shotgun Certificate in a Home Office Approved Club. Or the risks of a black powder shooter holding a number of antique black powder guns as wall pieces.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thank you. Sounds complicated.

This is honestly nothing to do with me; But I need to write 1500 words on the legalities and ethics of my work (making reproduction leather goods for school handling boxes) and that seems a good place to start.

Workplaces home is....exciting.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Want a real mind bender then consider the legality of shooting a ball from a smooth bore musket held on a Shotgun Certificate in a Home Office Approved Club.

What's the answer on that and does the fact someone is allowed to own slugs on their Firearm Cert affect the answer at all?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Black powder legislation is swept up into Firearms Licencing. You get the Black Powder Licence through your counties Firearms Licencing Department.

These are all basics. Want a real mind bender then consider the legality of shooting a ball from a smooth bore musket held on a Shotgun Certificate in a Home Office Approved Club.

I asked this of some black powder users and it seems they have some sort of by from officialdom. I was puzzled because if a normal shotgun is to fire solid ball then a FAC is needed.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Slug not relevant at all and actually bringing it into the thought process (quite logically) hampers the right answer which is .....

There is no answer. It's a grey area and whilst the Police aren't minded to police it I am happy for it to stay so.

Like Long Barrelled Pistols and internally moderated barrels it is a peculiarity without a specific act.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Interesting, I'll probably email BASC before taking the plunge.

Back on topic, Tengu, you asked "Black Powder Weaponry Legislation", do you just want to know about the weapons or the black powder as well? I ask because you can buy and use black powder firearms (with a suitable Firearms certificate) with a black powder substitute so you don't need to bother with the relevant explosives legislation as well. You can use something like Pyrodex ( https://www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex.html ). I would take specific advice if I was using an old firearm. At least it's a useful way to separate out the various bits of legislation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE