black leather problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I have been recently given a large piece of 2mm black leather. The problem is that the dye is coming out and leaving black marks on everything it touches. I'm not sure what type of dye it is but is there any way to fix it? I am thinking of making some small bags out of it as I assume it isn't thick enough for a knife sheath.

Cheers

Andy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You often get this with black leather in my (limited) experience... About the only thing I can suggest would be to wash it with saddle soap to remove the excess dye.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Thanks for the tips guys :)

I don't have any saddle soap and I'm not sure I can even buy it here. Would rinsing it in water have a similar effect? It doesn't have a smooth side so I don't think wax would help.

Cheers

Andy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Rinsing in water is unlikely to hurt, provided you dry it out slowly. Just don't be using ordinary soap or something. ;)

Sometimes you just have to accept that the dye is gonna bleed for a while...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The solvent for the dye is probably alcohol based and this cockling (the dye coming off) is because there was too much that wasn't absorbed. It ought not be like a paint sitting on the surface.
You could try wiping over the leather with a soft cloth soaked in meths. You will lose some colour but what's left should be sound. I'd take the advice of the others though and find saddle soap or a good polish afterwards. For very soft leather pouches I often use hand cream......it's skin after all ;)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE