Black Garlic experiment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Experiment to make Black Garlic.

You need a Rice Cooker ( locking lid is best apparently but i'm using my trusty friend Duct tape to cover seams )

Clean the Garlic a little -top them off.

Place Garlic in cooker with a bridge of some sort between the Garlic and the actual heated element. I'm using some metal expandable colander thingy-jig.

Place a small pot of water in with the Garlic to add moisture retention.

Place Rice cooker on 'KEEP WARM' function.

Leave for ( this is the difficult bit by the look of it... ) 3-6 weeks.

bg2.jpg

bg1.jpg

bg3.jpg

I'll check up on it in a few weeks time to see if the caramelization process has begun.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would wrapping them up in foil and putting that parcel on top of a radiator not be easier ?
and cheaper ?.....tinfoil take away tray thingie, water dish in the middle, garlic around it, sort of thing ?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Would wrapping them up in foil and putting that parcel on top of a radiator not be easier ?
and cheaper ?.....tinfoil take away tray thingie, water dish in the middle, garlic around it, sort of thing ?
Currently - I don't have my Rads on. Haven't had them or felt a need to have them on for a while.

Maybe worth tucking in near to the Immersion tank as an experiment. It WILL make the house stink heavily of Garlic.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Garlic in the kitchen just smells of good food :)
I don't think the slow cooker on for weeks on end would be any different to trying it on the radiator....if it's on.

Ours have been on and off like a yoyo this past month. Weird weather indeed.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Garlic in the kitchen just smells of good food :)
I don't think the slow cooker on for weeks on end would be any different to trying it on the radiator....if it's on.

Ours have been on and off like a yoyo this past month. Weird weather indeed.

M

Sorry. I meant I've relocated the Rice cooker to a Shed which over time and after Allium fumigation will no doubt be come to known as " Le Shed "

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did wonder :)

One Moot we had baked spuds. We had rather a glut of baked spuds and my firebowl is on longish legs. It sits a good foot off the ground. A decent height to have a rack on top and cook upon.
Anyhow, the extra baked spuds were tucked away underneath the firebowl. Still wrapped up in doubled tinfoil. Two nights later Russ and I were hungry, had been busy all day, and hadn't had a chance to eat. We suddenly minded the spuds, and dug them out.
That firebowl radiates heat enough (it's a cut down oil drum) that we keep the huge kettle on a tripod stand a couple of feet away from it, and it's never cold. It's like having hot water constantly at hand, so the spuds were pretty roasted.

They were utterly delicious :) they were everything a spud-you-like baked potato dreams about being. They hadn't dried out, they were still moist, perfectly cooked, the skins were every Maillard reaction thing of tastiness incarnate :)

So, sloooooow baking of veggies, can be an awfully good thing.

Be interested to hear how you get on with the garlic :cool:

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I did wonder :)

One Moot we had baked spuds. We had rather a glut of baked spuds and my firebowl is on longish legs. It sits a good foot off the ground. A decent height to have a rack on top and cook upon.
Anyhow, the extra baked spuds were tucked away underneath the firebowl. Still wrapped up in doubled tinfoil. Two nights later Russ and I were hungry, had been busy all day, and hadn't had a chance to eat. We suddenly minded the spuds, and dug them out.
That firebowl radiates heat enough (it's a cut down oil drum) that we keep the huge kettle on a tripod stand a couple of feet away from it, and it's never cold. It's like having hot water constantly at hand, so the spuds were pretty roasted.

They were utterly delicious :) they were everything a spud-you-like baked potato dreams about being. They hadn't dried out, they were still moist, perfectly cooked, the skins were every Maillard reaction thing of tastiness incarnate :)

So, sloooooow baking of veggies, can be an awfully good thing.

Be interested to hear how you get on with the garlic :cool:

M

Onions also apparently have a bit of a wonderful change

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good stuff :)

How does it taste ?

M

I think I need to buy some Black Garlic from the shop and taste and compare.
Its got a mellow but more deeper umami flavour if that makes sense.
Less pungent than normal unfettered garlic but its hard to taste it by itself and understand how it may work well with other flavours.

I'm going to make some Black garlic and Porcini butter and try some on a steak - I'll see how she fares.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks good!

I have a pot of it somewhere in my kitchen cupboards (commercial stuff) - I keep forgetting to try it in cooking :(

I'm thinking it may work well as a Black Garlic Pesto - oodles of grated cheese, umami garlic , pasta - boom!

Reactions: Broch

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Like good onion soup needs them caramelised brown, but not dried to shreds.

Half past nine and I'm hungry now :rolleyes2:
As I learned in our primary school play, onions do add a certain quality to a good Stone Soup.
I'll leave it to your imagination to work out which part I played in our little production.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think I need to buy some Black Garlic from the shop and taste and compare.
Its got a mellow but more deeper umami flavour if that makes sense.
Less pungent than normal unfettered garlic but its hard to taste it by itself and understand how it may work well with other flavours.

I'm going to make some Black garlic and Porcini butter and try some on a steak - I'll see how she fares.

I have a cousin who sends me bits and pieces in besides my Birthday and Christmas presents. Good honey, cookshop finds, garden centre nice things, that kind of stuff. Always interesting :) anyhow, he sent me a huge 'black garlic bulb' last year. Elephant garlic bulb I think is how it started out.
The postman handed me the parcel and looked at it and me and said, "Aye, it's garlic, isn't it ?". The entire parcel and contents stank of this garlic, which was wrapped in gift paper around the original cellophane packaging. Within a day the smell oozed out of the kitchen and sort of spread throughout the whole downstairs of the house. It was so persistent a smell that even the peelings of the cloves I opened up (well, squeezed out) and beat into some butter to use on garlic bread, stank up the compost bin enough to encourage the fox to knock it over :rolleyes:

I did wonder about doing the small garlic I grow on the radiator, but after thinking about it a bit longer, I realised that really I couldn't live with that smell 24/7

The garlic tasted lovely though :)

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE