Black Friday

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I've cottoned on to the fact that lots of retailers have chosen today to offer discounts on various shiny things. However, I've never heard of it before, and I'm curious about its origin, does anyone know? Normally 'black' anything is negative, 'blackspot', 'black look', 'black heart' etc (now I think of it, if I were black I might be a bit vexed about that usage).

I did try to Google the phrase but all I got was about a zillion adverts for discounted shiny things.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They mentioned on the radio this morning that it's the day that shop owners go into the black rather than red, the busiest day of the year and the start of the Christmas shopping period. The discounts were to attract more customers.

Nov 12, 2013
Texas, USA
Yep. The idea is that businesses that are financially "in the red" (bad) start moving "into the black" (good) between Thanksgiving and Christmas in America. Businesses traditionally offer a lot of discounts on the Friday following the American Thanksgiving Day to kick off the insane Christmas purchasing rush. Over time, though, it has grown out of control, with "Grey Thursday," "Cyber Monday" (online), and even "Black November" sales.

"Black Thursday" sales are typified by American consumerism at it's worst, with some people standing in line outside stores for 12 hours or more in the hopes of getting discounts, sometimes setting up tents on the sidewalks. People are injured every year in the rush when stores open on Black Thursday, and in the last decade there have even been a couple of deaths from people getting stampeded. The absolute worst place to be is Wal-Mart (I believe your equivalent is Tesco).

The reality is that the savings are no better than can be found at sales throughout the year, some stores only stock a handful of the advertised items, and some electronics are "special models" wish missing features that are created specifically for that day.

As an American, I must formally apologize to everyone if the insanity of Black Thursday has crept overseas. Nip it in the bud while you can.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
As an American, I must formally apologize to everyone if the insanity of Black Thursday has crept overseas. Nip it in the bud while you can.

Not your fault old lad. Anyway, it's too late, the Walmartians have arrived - people were reportedly exchanging punches over discount-priced television sets and similar shinies in more than one shop. Thus goes the March of Progress (turbo-capitalism-style progress, natch).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE