Black Bun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I gather this may be eaten by some of our members in Scotland?

My elderly dad is nostalgic about this stuff from his National service days and I thought I might get him one for xmas.

Doesn't float my boat, sounds like Christmas cake in pastry !

Any of our people like it?
Black Bun.jpg

There's a place in Scotland that sell's 'em, Alex... (he's never emailed me back about ordering with a view to longevity for Christmas,
guess he's ace at making pies and not so hot with a computer :dunno:

Fair play ! :cool: Stick to what you are good at !

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
More like Christmas Pudding masquerading as a pork pie. My late Mother in Law always made a couple.

They are only really ready to eat after a year or so of storage to let the flavours mingle and settle.

In our family it is traditional to eat it bringing in the new year with a glass of sherry and served to first footers, but it is good anytime.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That one looks burnt :yikes:

It's a lovely cake :), but the pastry outer should be like shortbread colour, not roasted brown.

I suppose it's the equivalent of the English Christmas cake, made weeks beforehand and fed with brandy. It takes time to let the peppery fruity taste develop properly :D

cheers,
Toddy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
More like Christmas Pudding masquerading as a pork pie. My late Mother in Law always made a couple.

They are only really ready to eat after a year or so of storage to let the flavours mingle and settle.

In our family it is traditional to eat it bringing in the new year with a glass of sherry and served to first footers, but it is good anytime.

^ +1 for that

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE