Bivvy in October

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nearwild

Jun 21, 2016
havant
Hi all, I'm doing a tracking course next month, and am thinking about a low profile sleeping set up with the hope of spying on some wildlife. I've never used a bivvy before, and am being so indecisive about it, it's bordering on the ridiculous!

So, in general would you recommend a bivvy set up in October? If so, what's the best for ground insulation, bearing in mind I have to walk in so am trying to stay as light as possible. Are they really any better than just a tarp on the ground? Thanks!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
attachment.php
attachment.php

Insulate yourself from cold and you'll be fine :D

The kip mat used in the two pics is what I'd use year round ~ I don't own a super insulated job ;)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
attachment.php
attachment.php

Insulate yourself from cold and you'll be fine :D

The kip mat used in the two pics is what I'd use year round ~ I don't own a super insulated job ;)
Decorum, what's that tipi style tent in the second pic? Is that the poncho polish lavvu thingamajig?
Cheers

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Looks like the same tarp taken from the rear
I hope you're wrong , just so i dont feel so stupid...😒

Yup , OK . Maybe I'm really that stupid .
😞
Hey! Look a squirrel....
😀
...come on, move along everybody... Nothing to see here...
😒

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Definitely one of the thicker foam camping mats rather than the £3.49 ones at Argos.
But remember you're bushcrafting not camping so make time to make bed, even if it's only piling up some leaves to kip on.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
" Insulate yourself from cold and you'll be fine ".... Exactly that..
respect-048.gif

There used to be an old saying that went something like..." If you're out in Winter with 3 blankets, sleep on 2 and cover yourself with the other one."

If you're on a paying course hopefully they know enough to advise you where to bivvy, ie: Not in a hollow or too close to water. Cold air runs down hill, it's warmer higher up, but out of the wind.

Like Decorum I don't have an expensive ground mat, and I'm out in all the winter months, for which I've rigged up this system which works for me, but remember people feel the cold differently. Having said that, I'm a wrinkly so you may cope with it better than me.

Non expensive air mat..£15 approx.

QScqqWml.jpg

I bought a foil backed kip mat...£12 approx. In my experience air mats tend to scuttle about during the night, so I cut slits in the foil backed mat, threaded wide elastic through, Gorilla taped the ends in place.

I3GXIcol.jpg

hiR70pFl.jpg

And the air bed slides under the elastic. At least that way the air bed stays captive on the mat. The whole lot rolls up, is really lightweight and for me at least with just a groundsheet underneath the set-up is warm enough in a frosty wood...( with a good 4 season sleeping bag)

1TZdLhOl.jpg

If you have time before the course perhaps you can experiment? You don't need a mortgage for gear to keep warm...:D

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
" Insulate yourself from cold and you'll be fine ".... Exactly that..
respect-048.gif

There used to be an old saying that went something like..." If you're out in Winter with 3 blankets, sleep on 2 and cover yourself with the other one."

If you're on a paying course hopefully they know enough to advise you where to bivvy, ie: Not in a hollow or too close to water. Cold air runs down hill, it's warmer higher up, but out of the wind.

Like Decorum I don't have an expensive ground mat, and I'm out in all the winter months, for which I've rigged up this system which works for me, but remember people feel the cold differently. Having said that, I'm a wrinkly so you may cope with it better than me.

Non expensive air mat..£15 approx.

QScqqWml.jpg

I bought a foil backed kip mat...£12 approx. In my experience air mats tend to scuttle about during the night, so I cut slits in the foil backed mat, threaded wide elastic through, Gorilla taped the ends in place.

I3GXIcol.jpg

hiR70pFl.jpg

And the air bed slides under the elastic. At least that way the air bed stays captive on the mat. The whole lot rolls up, is really lightweight and for me at least with just a groundsheet underneath the set-up is warm enough in a frosty wood...( with a good 4 season sleeping bag)

1TZdLhOl.jpg

If you have time before the course perhaps you can experiment? You don't need a mortgage for gear to keep warm...:D
Nice work there...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Decorum, what's that tipi style tent in the second pic? Is that the poncho polish lavvu thingamajig?
Cheers

It's a Vihe Loue II*. I got it from Scandinavian Outdoor (https://scandinavianoutdoor.fi/varusteet/teltat/) ~ the price has risen somewhat since then! :yikes: .

*It's definitely a Loue II. The primary marketing pic from Vihe just makes the shelter look humongous ;) .

Looks like the same tarp taken from the rear

I hope you're wrong , just so i dont feel so stupid...

Yup , OK . Maybe I'm really that stupid .

Hey! Look a squirrel....

...come on, move along everybody... Nothing to see here...


One of you will be disappointed and Brambles, it's not you :D .

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Been trying out one of the Superlite Multimat's for some trips since March, found it's surprisingly comfy though a little heavy at around 840g but packs away better than foam roll.
However, don't know if it's a build quality issue with early versions or I just picked a lemon off the shelf but was initially plagued by pinhole leaks that developed at the creases. Liberal application of flexible glue from the local poundshop seems to be doing the trick so far but don't completely trust it yet.
millets-mat.jpg

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Ah! Mine's 3+ years old and was bought as military surplus. Slightly different version I suspect judging by the wording stamped on it. (showing batch number)

QScqqWml.jpg

It weighs in the bag complete with repair kit provided, on my ancient scale a fraction under 1lb.

71euxufl.jpg

Last edited:

Nearwild

Jun 21, 2016
havant
Hmmmm, some good ideas here. I have a couple of weeks and a garden so will try out a few things. I tried hammock with blanket for insulation last night and learnt to take care not to drop said blanket into the pond! It was warm, but not very warm so I think I'll change tack entirely and think about bivvying both nights to save weight.

Tonight: tarp on the ground with air mattress vs blankets...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I always bivvi with a tarp over the top, inside my bivvi i have a 4 season centre zip bag (for ease of entrance and exit whilst in the bivvi) and i also have under this (but still inside the bivvi) a 5cm x 60cm x 185cm Highlander self inflating 4 season ground mat to separate me from the cold of the ground, that's all i have ever needed

Summer style setup

20150828_151019.jpg

Winter or wet weather setup

20150522_211623.jpg

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
You can bivvy any time of the year as long as you make sure you have the right equipment with you and warm clothing, I have used a Bivvy in October and it was cold in the night and woke to ground frost! I had a pretty comfortable night I used a Thermo rest Pro Lite Regular Camping Mat it cost me around £70 but if you shop around I'm sure you can find the same item cheaper? the good thing is it is very light to carry also I have used a Bivvy and also carried a tarp with me for extra protection against the elements.

Last edited:

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
only my personal opinion, but your warmer on the ground than in a hammock, its a quick set up, and no heavier, I always take a good inflatable mat I use a fat airic from Alpkit, its a bit bulky but I can cope with that for the comfort, I work on the pack light freeze at night basis, but its all down to individual preference. I always take a full Bergen even for an overnighter!.. but hen again I don't tramp far so the weight and size aren't that much of an issue to me.

bowji john

Silver Trader
For a combination of comfort , warmth and lightness I would (and do) use a hammock with 'thermarest ' and tarp - summer and winter

Perfectly adequate all year round

Some don't get on with a hammock - finding it too restrictive - however if that slightly claustrophobic feeling is not an issue for you, it is arguably the most comfortable of all the options

Gives you a seat also during the day and evenings

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE