Bivvi question

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
looks fine for the price if you look at my post on making a bedroll its basically the same set up just make sure you get yourself a mat to go under or in it for insulation. If you sleep cold you may want to look at using a sleeping bag in it instead of the blanket cotton inner set up

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I looked at these a while ago I am not 100% certain but they may just have a waterproof base so fine under a tarp or in a shelter but no good in rain without some cover
I suppose it depends how you intend to use it

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks guys,

Spiritwalker: your was one of the first thread I looked at before scrunting for the bag, Great setup you have there.

Were hoping to build a group shelter at the N.E.S meet and I need it to go over my bag just in case

ATB

Craig

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I spent a bit more and bought an Aplkit Hunka XL - it's breathable, so shouldn't soak my sleeping bag, very light and really not that expensive (under 3 times the price of that old one you linked to). More difficult to get in and out of (especially in a hammock) but I'm very happy with it

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think of a bivvy bag as a thin thing that I will put my sleeping bag into. The thing you linked to looks to me as if it's a bit more than that. It also doesn't specifically say it's made of a water-permeable fabric, so it might not be. Then it would most likely get a bit sweaty inside, and it could make your sleeping bag wetter than if you just slept under the group shelter in your sleeping bag alone.

The issue bivvy bags are great, and you can get them for 25 quid or maybe less if you're lucky. Most others of similar quality are a lot more money than that.

If it's just something to use if the group shelter doesn't pan out for some reason, you can get a builder's tarp that will do that job no trouble for a couple of quid. My emergency shelter is a sheet of polythene that came to my work wrapped around a pallet of photocopier paper. I've used it quite a few times. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE